Iron Man suit/Short guy<<</few questions including buyfullbodyarmors.com

nerek387

Hey all! New to this site, not spam or anything just new to the RPF. Been into cosplay/comicons for years with my Stormtrooper suits etc but I was interested in an Iron Man suit going forward. I've done my fair share of research however it seems most of the suits range from heights of 5'11"-6'5" which I'm not close to lol. I'm 5'6" 160lbs athletic build and had huge issues finally getting my Stormtrooper suit to fit my size which is why I was looking into the best fit for my figure(if at all possible).

I've talked to Masked Rider he seems to have a great reputation however all of the suits are 5'11"+ and I'm very weary about any custom boots/insoles to increase my height(hence alot of movement and activity during cosplays) But I wanted to get everyone's recommendations as far as the direction I should take.

Also I've checked out buyfullbodyarmors.com and I've heard alot of poor reviews about their armor, electronics, etc. The upside to these are the custom size suits they make which would fit my needs and body style. There is a new suit they make the Mark 43 which is made of all ABS etc and not the previous models of EVA material etc. HOWEVER I'm still iffy about them due to the lack of information available. This is the message I received asking about the new armor below....

Hello,

Welcome! Yes that is why we obsoleted the EVA foam suit. The new Mark 43 suit, which is built by our new material (high strength resin, ABS), new painting technology (primer, metal color paint, protection layer) and has new articulated joint structure, new electronic system and control system. Generally speaking, the new suit is significantly stronger and more durable than the old version and you will have much better wearing experience. Moreover, the updated suits are designed to go accommodate increased movement and various body postures and movements. You can now sit on a chair, walk smoothly and bend about 90 degree forward.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any additional questions or concerns that you might have. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jarvis (James)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I have yet to hear anything good about buyfullbodyarmors.com, but that doesn't mean they aren't awesome, I have no idea. I'm also a very short person so I feel your pain here. I can't say that I know anyone or any place that you could simply purchase a high quality suit custom to fit that would last. I personally have had to make all of my suits. There are a ton of great tutorials on how to do so, and that is really the only thing I could suggest to get something to fit just right. Is that an option for you, or are you only looking to buy one?

Honestly, I have yet to hear anything good about buyfullbodyarmors.com, but that doesn't mean they aren't awesome, I have no idea. I'm also a very short person so I feel your pain here. I can't say that I know anyone or any place that you could simply purchase a high quality suit custom to fit that would last. I personally have had to make all of my suits. There are a ton of great tutorials on how to do so, and that is really the only thing I could suggest to get something to fit just right. Is that an option for you, or are you only looking to buy one?

Unfortunately I don't have the time with my schedule to put that much time into a build on my own or else that'd be my first option. Ton of other life priorities before my nerdlife kicks in lol. Height and timing are why I kept eyeing that website due to them able to make custom sized suits, however I want to get as much input as I can before I were to purchase. I'd love to have one made for my size on here from a reputable builder but nothing seems to fit my height. Even as a Stormtrooper I get the line "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

What is your budget?

Iron Man suits tend to be much more custom sized than Stormtrooper suits. I have had three trooper armors and I have made two Iron Man EVA suits. If you are willing to invest the time you will be happier with a custom suit you make yourself. If you do not have the time to build one yourself I can recommend the Masked Rider suits. There are mods you can make to make it fit better. I would be leery of the fullbodyarmors suit until you have seen one built and the build process as well as the raw parts you would be getting. Even a raw suit will take alot of work to make into a finished suit. So back to my original question, what is your budget? Also what Mark is your favorite? The mark 4 and 6 have a large gap between the top of the thigh and the bottom of the cod that is a good place to adjust for height.

Well from that website I had a Mark 43 suit built for around 3K custom fit with all the electronics etc.. So 3-4k Id say. I spoke with Masked Rider however like I said those suits are all 5'11"+ which is a huge jump from my height. I really dont have the time to make one myself or else I would. I'd prefer a Mark 3, Mark 7, or Mark 43 as they seem to look like the full suit and also my favorites out of any. The one thing I didnt like about some of the suits I've seen are the openings where you can see the undersuit through(the thigh and underarm gaps you were mentioning). I'm sure they're easier to work with but imo I dont like seeing the undersuit much if not at all. (Iron Mans suit were always fully enclosed no skin or undersuit showing.

I think you may have hit an roadblock. A custom suit, made to your size, in rigid plastic, will take a pretty penny and someone that is willing to dedicate many months to make it for you. I think you have all the options available before you. It is just a matter of choosing your path now.

Masked Rider suit - Too large but could be modded to fit. Durable
Custom EVA - Less cost, better fit, shorter life span.
Completely custom Plastic Suit - More than double your current budget. Exactly what you want.
fullbodyarmors - ??????????

P.S. I actually like EVA for my Iron Man suits. Since they hug the body more than trooper armor the foam is WAY more comfy. I have spent up to 6 hours in my Iron Man suit. Plus I did line dancing in a bar at the end of that 6 hour stint! I still have that suit and it is quite wearable after 4 years.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

I think you may have hit an roadblock. A custom suit, made to your size, in rigid plastic, will take a pretty penny and someone that is willing to dedicate many months to make it for you. I think you have all the options available before you. It is just a matter of choosing your path now.

Masked Rider suit - Too large but could be modded to fit. Durable
Custom EVA - Less cost, better fit, shorter life span.
Completely custom Plastic Suit - More than double your current budget. Exactly what you want.
fullbodyarmors - ??????????

P.S. I actually like EVA for my Iron Man suits. Since they hug the body more than trooper armor the foam is WAY more comfy. I have spent up to 6 hours in my Iron Man suit. Plus I did line dancing in a bar at the end of that 6 hour stint! I still have that suit and it is quite wearable after 4 years.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

I have to agree. I would ask you to reconsider EVA, it is what I use to build as well, and for the Iron Man suits, I prefer it.

I have to agree. I would ask you to reconsider EVA, it is what I use to build as well, and for the Iron Man suits, I prefer it.

Due to my size and my feeling about EVA(ive seen and used it in the past and prefer ABS) I'm probably holding off. I need to grow a about a foot before I should consider suits etc unfortunately. "Little short to be a stormtrooper"

Due to my size and my feeling about EVA(ive seen and used it in the past and prefer ABS) I'm probably holding off. I need to grow a about a foot before I should consider suits etc unfortunately. "Little short to be a stormtrooper"

On the plus side. If you can rock the dark hair and goatee you would be the perfect height for a Robert Downey Jr./Tony Stark cosplay!!! There are several vendors in the classifieds under project runs that do a solid resin/fiberglass gauntlets and forearms! That way you could get the quality you want and your size would work to your advantage. Plus if you are only doing the mark 42/43 gauntlet and forearm you could pack it full of electronics and sound effects for the repulsor blast. A fully kitted out gauntlet with paint and full electronics would be well within your budget and add in a Mark 42 head interface unit and a good Under Armour shirt and you are in good shape for Tony Stark. Plus you get to walk around and be all comfy at the con!

Good Luck!

Check your pm's

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back