Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

Question, before you put everything in did your helmet fit? I pepped my helmet, fiber glass resin the inside, and I'm currently bondoing the outside. My issue is I can fit it on my head... The entry is too small for my head but I know that since people cut off the back section and then reattach maybe this is normal? Also I'm scared that if it can barely fit my head can it fit my head and the electronics for the auto faceplate I want? I want to make sure I don't waste time making a helmet and detailing it when I won't end up using it. Thoughts?

Hello Honus,

Are you also planning on doing the hip flares as well? XD

We would like to do the hip flares but right now that's not part of the plan. Possibly something we can add in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Question, before you put everything in did your helmet fit? I pepped my helmet, fiber glass resin the inside, and I'm currently bondoing the outside. My issue is I can fit it on my head... The entry is too small for my head but I know that since people cut off the back section and then reattach maybe this is normal? Also I'm scared that if it can barely fit my head can it fit my head and the electronics for the auto faceplate I want? I want to make sure I don't waste time making a helmet and detailing it when I won't end up using it. Thoughts?

The helmet did fit the owner before all of the electronics were added in and there wasn't much room around the top of the head or sides around the ears- it's pretty snug. The way I did the mechanism and electronics takes up as little room as possible in these areas- most everything is in the chin area.

Been following this thread for a while now... truly amazing work!

Any ETA on parts list or tutorial? I've got an Arduino that I'm fooling around with and I'm trying to figure out which links, rods and hinges I should use. Been digging around at Servocity.com but I don't know what I need.

Also, I took a beginning Arduino class but all we did was make an LED flash and a few other things. I don't know what else I'd need in a servo setup... like I don't know when to use resistors, capacitors, etc. Also what battery to use.

Like many, I'm aiming to have my helmet ready for this Halloween.

Thanks for letting us follow your progress!

Great helmet! I'm very interested the details of your hinge system, specially for the faceplate. I will be starting soon on the hinge system for my helmet and would like to see how your's works.

Did you put hinges also in the grooves on the top of the helmet? or is it maybe a "rail" system? Your photos and videos doesn't show that part :(

Been following this thread for a while now... truly amazing work!
Also, I took a beginning Arduino class but all we did was make an LED flash and a few other things. I don't know what else I'd need in a servo setup... !
So I too agree this is amazing work! I am very curious where you found classes for arduino!! Found plenty of books, but I learn this kind of thing better didactically! Please share that intel!!
Thanks!
M

Did someone say hip pods? Decided what the heck- let's add those too! There will be a bunch of LEDs in these and there will be a sound effect when the LEDs light up.

IMG_0815_zpsfda726a5.jpg

IMG_0816_zpsb6428f05.jpg

To answer a few questions:

The helmet has a servo attached to the faceplate and a hinge pin at the top of the helmet. The uppermost edge of the faceplate has two fixed rods with a ball on the end that ride in tracks in the top of the helmet- it's a really simple three point system (if a bit of a pain to build). The chin has a servo mounted in it that allows it to open.

Regarding Arduino and animatronics, I'm pretty much self taught. I never took any classes or anything and there really wasn't much out there when I started working on costume animatronics around six years ago. I just read a couple books about physical computing and microcontrollers and started working. There are lots of good Arduino tutorials out there now- Sparkfun and Adafruit are both great resources.

I published a general Arduino animatronics guide here- http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-animatronics-make-your-awesome-costumes-m/

I'm working like mad to get this suit done and I'll have the tutorial after that. I really need a 36 hour day!

Attachments

• IMG_0815_zpsfda726a5.jpg
    IMG_0815_zpsfda726a5.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0816_zpsb6428f05.jpg
    IMG_0816_zpsb6428f05.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to do chase lights around the hip pod so it will look like flares are shooting off one by one around the pod?

Yes, but they will flicker on/off in a modified chaser pattern- each LED will turn on/off a few times before the next one. There will also be sound effects. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back