IP Man

Rusty85

Sr Member
Anyone here seen this movie? It has some incredible fights scenes and is overall just a great movie. Its loosely based on Bruce's Lee mentor.

Yup loved the movie....kinda went downhill after the first movie. I barely made it through ip man iii, or was it iv :confused. It's a great Kung fu flick, which is pretty rare nowadays.

it was ok, some of the fights went a little, ahem, "cinematic" as opposed to true Wing Chun, but it was entertaining never the less.

The first one was the only one I saw, I enjoyed it even though it was not an accurate portrayal of him

According to one of his students, the first was pretty close, actually. The rest...puffery. I loved the first one. I had a guy do a bit of Wing Chun sparring with me and it was like an insane chess match that he was three moves, or more, ahead of me.

Not in my book the film took big liberties but that's expected.

Two of the top of my head, he never fought a Japenese General and Ip loved his opium :cool

According to one of his students, the first was pretty close, actually. The rest...puffery. I loved the first one. I had a guy do a bit of Wing Chun sparring with me and it was like an insane chess match that he was three moves, or more, ahead of me.

I had no idea who Donnie Yen was until a friend had me watch Ip Man, WOW! Then I remembered him from Blade 2. He was also recently in" Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen". Chen Zhen was the character portrayed by Bruce Lee in "The Big Boss" (Fists of Fury) .

I had no idea who Donnie Yen was until a friend had me watch Ip Man, WOW! Then I remembered him from Blade 2. He was also recently in" Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen". Chen Zhen was the character portrayed by Bruce Lee in "The Big Boss" (Fists of Fury) .

Chen Zhen was also portrayed in Fist of Legend by Jet Li, one of my all time favorite Kung fu flicks.....All time favorites...you must check it out.

The loose prequel was then done, also by jet Li, in the more modern yet really cool movie fearless

Chen Zhen was also portrayed in Fist of Legend by Jet Li, one of my all time favorite Kung fu flicks.....All time favorites...you must check it out.

The loose prequel was then done, also by jet Li, in the more modern yet really cool movie fearless

That's right ! Shame on me for forgetting that, :facepalm good catch !

Two of the top of my head, he never fought a Japenese General and Ip loved his opium :cool
Both of these are pretty well known in the Wing Chun circles, I imagine. You have to know that a lot of the movie was fluff, but a portion of it WAS based on the man's life. (Just need to gloss over the "bad" things.)

No, Chen Zhen was the character in "FIST of Fury" AKA The Chinese Connection. His character in The Big Boss was Cheng Chao-an AKA "FISTS of Fury. There is a big confusion over the titles when they dubbed the films and released them in America. Stated from wikipiedia;

When The Big Boss was being prepared for American distribution, it was going to be retitled as The Chinese Connection, as a play on the popular The French Connection, seeing as how both films dealt with drug trafficking. Meanwhile, Bruce Lee's second film, Fist of Fury, was going to be virtually identical in terms of its title, with the only difference being that it would be Fists of Fury rather than Fist of Fury. However, somewhere between being exported from Golden Harvest studios to being imported to US independent film company National General Pictures, the titles ended up being switched. As a result, The Big Boss became Fists of Fury and Fist of Fury became The Chinese Connection. To this day, there is still confusion among the titles, yet film purists refer to the two films under their original titles. Recent American TV showings and the recent official US DVD release, originally available in The Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection box set, from Twentieth Century-Fox have restored the original titles of all the Bruce Lee films that were renamed; as of 2004 this film is now officially called The Big Boss in the United States. The current DVD version also has a subtitle that says "A.K.A. Fists of Fury" when The Big Boss title appears on screen, as the source material is the Fortune Star digital remasters.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back