Indifferent on Dark Knight Rises?

justinbauler

I have always been a huge fan of batman and the past 2 films. Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker. I REALLY want to see the new film. I live in California and I am fully aware the tragedy happened in another state. I made this topic to see if anyone else feels the same way I do. I really want to see the film but the magic and fun of the film itself seems to be taken away now knowing what happened. Thoughts?

I'm not sure why that would ruin the movie for you. It happened in another state and could have happened anywhere, at any movie. Go see it.

its not the fear of going at all, I guess what I am getting it is that everyone's mindset going into the movie now is completely different

Even before the "incident" I had no real urge to see it. I guess Bane just isn't a character I have an interest at all in seeing. :unsure

Blaming the film or insinuating that Batman has anything to do with a nut shooting people is crazy. People should not let one maniac take anything away from going to the movies . I plan on going again to the movie and that never once popped into my mind as a deal breaker. The bane character was as good as any I have seen including ledger .

Even before the "incident" I had no real urge to see it. I guess Bane just isn't a character I have an interest at all in seeing. :unsure

Especially this version of Bane. As bad as Batman and Robin was at least that looked like Bane. I wouldn't let this take away from a movie if you want to go see it. Doing that would give in to the fear that people want to create.

This version of Bane, in terms of character, is very close to the books in my opinion and I've read quite a bit of Batman books. I initially was not excited for this movie, but I ended up thinking it was fantastic. Give it a chance.

I had no intentions of seeing this film. Wasn't a fan of the first 2 Nolan remakes. I don't like his movies. They just don't do anything for me. I fell asleep during Batman Begins for the first time ever in a movie theater, second one I waited till it was downloadable to watch and that one didn't even live up to the hype (in my opinion it was too hyped up cause of Heath's death), and this one doesn't look interesting at all. I've even read all the spoilers and it doesn't even sound interesting.

I hate crowds and normally hope to wait until the crowds dwindle before seeing the film; but my friend's wife is a diehard Batman fan and we were lucky to convince her to wait until Saturday morning. We arrived at the IMAX early and everything was okay.

I always thought Bane was just a stupid ass character created for no other purpose than to cripple Batman the way Doomsday was created to "Kill" Superman around the same time. I don't know... I thought "A steroid (Venom) freak in a luchadore mask...okay, I'll pass."

In DKR their is no "venom" and the mask kind of makes sense. _Bronson_ star Hardy makes a great, intelligent, menacing villain. No, he's not a revelation the way Ledger was as the Joker but that's an unrealistic expectation if you have it. I felt that this movie was about Bruce Wayne's character arc, not the villain's..

Actually, my largest doubt was Hathaway as Selina Kyle and she served admirably.

Nolan is done with Bats, and he wrapped up the Hero's journey perfectly. Matrix went two films too far, Highlander went four films and a television series too long and we've all got different favorites that we wish had just gotten out while the going was good.

I would rather Bats take his final bow with Nolan's third film than see Spidey bow out with Raimi's. Even if Bruce Wayne did have to d....

Well, let's just say Bane excelled in his role as antagonist.

I can honestly say I was not indifferant towards this movie. Heard of the tragedy but still saw it opening day. I refuse to let the actions of others control my world without my consent.
I can use my girlfriend as an example of indifferance. She's seen the other two thought they were okay but didn't really want to go. I took my nephew instead. After hearing how much I enjoyed seeing the film she's swaying towards seeing it now though is a bit concerned about the 2:44 runtime. Honestly? it didn't feel like that long of a movie. Maybe after I see it for the hundredth time I may feel that way.

If you're thinking of seeing it and a fan of the comics I say go see it.

When it comes to the Dark Knight Rises, I pretty much drew my comparison to TDK. I found that some areas were done better, and some not so much.

Things that were done better:
- Characters who are not Batman trying to do good.
- Cops acting competent.
- Female characters who aren't there for emotional anchors and aren't powerless when a guy grabs their arm.
- A bad guy who really wants to kill Batman even when told not to.
- Batman sticking to his no-kill rule while other characters make exceptions. I was glad Bats didn't argue or preach when that occurred.

Things that were either the same or done worse.
- TOO MANY SIDE CHARACTERS who's stories don't add anything to the overall plot.
- Alfred still being the constant story teller and leaving Bruce willingly for no good reason.
- The Bruce/Miranda love story that comes from nowhere.
- The Batpod being so overpowered it makes me wonder why Bats even bothered with a Tumblr in the first place.
- While Blake was pretty decent and not annoying, I would have liked to have seen Renee Montoya who wasn't a poorly done fake. She is after all someone who was a good cop, worked directly with a hero, leave the service and take on the hero's mantle.

- The Bruce/Miranda love story that comes from nowhere.
- The Batpod being so overpowered it makes me wonder why Bats even bothered with a Tumblr in the first place.

I viewed it as Miranda taking advantage of Bruce when he was in a vulnerable state and using that to her advantage and The batpod was part of the Tumbler until he ejected it in the Dark Knight and destroyed the Tumbler.

If my enthusiasm for anything was taken away by acts of violence there wouldn't be much in the world left to get excited over. Acts like this will keep on happening simply because humans are a totally imperfect race of beings and I can only see things getting worse if society continues on its current path.

In other words go to the movies and have fun.

I'm going tomorrow. I understand being sensative and it will be on my mind.
But I won't let one sick individual and the tragedy impact my love for this character.

In fact in my view, if you value what this character is about, recovering from deep tragedy, helping others, fighting criminals, that should help you in the enthusiasm department.

Rise!

Bane is done as close to perfection as possible in this film, aside from the lack of Venom and the instant variations in size of course. Holding Ledger's Joker as the benchman for Batman movie villains is extremely unfair, mostly because there aren't many characters in all of film that are portrayed as well as TDK's Joker.

It's a played out phrase but don't let the terrorists win. By not seeing this movie, you give him unneeded attention and credit him for influencing your life. If it's a matter of honor vs disrespect then know this... those people were murdered at a midnight showing, they showed extreme dedication to this film and probably would've shared that enthusiasm with you before seeing it that night.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back