In Need Of Guidance

Maaku

Hi to all hunters lair

I've recently acquired myself a workshop and alot of materials
i've been experimenting with different methods of casting, molding etc

i'm wanting to make some predator blades and i have tried, i used Jesmonite resin with AC100 liquid and the resin doesn't seem to quite cut it, its fragile and easily broken so its pretty much useless for making this blades for predator or even any sword in general.

i would like to ask everyone's wisdom in what resin is best, that's strong and can withstand knocks and small blows. or even better than that.

thanks for your time :)

Don't know much about the use of resins but can suggest using plexiglass - that what some people are using and I have heard great things and results from its use.

Havnt thought about using plexi glass, ill read into it and give it a try.

if anyone can still suggest strong resin would be very grateful

trying to find Lexan and Acrylic, found plenty of sites that tell me about them, the lexan looks like a good strong one but i cant seem to find a site that sells it as resin, links?

easyflo 120.

i used it on my rebreathers and it seems pretty robust, it also has a good amount of flex to it. best bet is too google it or check ebay for a small test quantity i guess, to make sure it is suitable for your blades.

for something that can " withstand knocks and small blows. or even better than that"
you are going to be looking for an impact resistant plastic. that being said im not sure if you can buy a 2 part resin of that variety.
being able to lay fiberglass matting is going to help with the strength.

well after a quick search, since i was curious myself, i found smooth-on does a high impact, 2 part resin

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-S/c1120_1208/index.html

so there might also be some other options as well, if you dont want to go smooth-on route.

also, urethane rubber might be a good way to go.
let's see if some of the experienced guys in the field say anything.

It is important to point out that Plexiglass, and Lucite are all acrylic, they are just different brands and hardnesses. Lexan might be polycarbonate, which is harder than acrylic.

Resins are a bit fragile when thin, but reinforced with fiberglass they are pretty tough. You could also look into ABS depending on the thickness you want.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back