Impossible to make accurate tk armor using pepakura?

I'm a big guy 6'2" / 280 lbs, and the only way I'm going to get armor to fit me right is to pep it. I have recently begun to build a TIE Pilot costume and for the armor to fit right I have no other choice. Pepakura is a great medium if it is done right and I would challenge any expert to tell the difference in a expert pep and a vac piece.

The lowest cost legit (501st approvable and not recast) is ATA Hips styrene armor. As stated above, if you can do some research on Fisd, you can track it down.

Armor makers only make armor, there are other things you need to complete the costume such as the following (I have indicated where you can save money by making your own instead of buying)

All told, you "could" build a 100% legit and approvable Stormtrooper for around $600.

Eg:
- HIPS armor unpainted (add the cost of paint for glossy look)
- canvas belt (sew your own)
- neckseal (sew your own)
- black under suit (use cheap thermals instead of brand name)
- holster (sew your own)
- black gloves
- boots (TKboots are about $60)
- strapping nylon, elastic, velcro or snaps
- blaster (diy or Hasbro painted black)
- paints, glue, misc tools

You shouldn't need to buy anything on ebay. All legit sellers of armor and accessories can be found on Fisd. Most importantly, ask your local garrison for help. If you need larger armor, look into RT Mod.

Luckily for me, I'm of average size and build at 5 8 ish and about 160 lbs. I have done extensive research research since the last time I posted. I have decided to get the ATA ABS armor set and go really cheap on everything else. Only because I want the more durable, already shiny plastic.

... I then went and searched the 405th for info during my search to find any evidence of a tk build using pep. I found something interesting while I was there. It seems there is some kind feud between avid halo and stormtrooper builders...

I'm curious why you would feel that way. 405th is very much opened to all costumes. I've been with 405th for 2 years now and I never have the feeling that there is a feud.

The problem is Storm Troopers costumes are "unofficial" costumes of 501st. We at 405th know how 501st think of costumes outside of their realm. Hence, no one at 405th really care much of Storm Troopers since there are much better options in the Halo Universe.

I believe Vagabond/Nintendude has some of the files. But he was upset that his work was taken for granted. He removed all his files. He even kicked himself out of 405th.

I am working on my kids costumes using EVA foam. Would it be possible to take a blueprint/drawing and make the suit (except the helmet) out of foam?

I have come a long way since I posted this about a year ago. And, to answer my own question; yes it is ten times better to buy one. However, the level of difficulty is higher than what one would want to do for a first costume. I was wrong about doing this as a first costume project.

20120502_194352.jpg

glad to see you bringing this up again. im 5'9" and have AM armor that im trimming down to fit so we're pretty much at the same build stage. youll find more support over at fisd, as the rpf doesnt have many active troopers anymore (its all iron man and spidermans lol). i also have pepakura tk armor as well, and in terms of the topic no its not impossible. i used different parts from fierfek and dungbeetle files, and can use my 501st armor as a model when i start bondo on the pep, theyre already resined and fiberglassed, just getting the abs armor done for my local con. if you have any other questions about either armor feel free to PM me.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back