I need some advice...

I use Li-Ion batteries all the time in the lightsabers I build, so the application for lasers/LEDs in the targeting system is the same. Li-Ion cells are nice because they are 3.6V, so you have fewer cells to make room for.

I use Li-Ion batteries all the time in the lightsabers I build, so the application for lasers/LEDs in the targeting system is the same. Li-Ion cells are nice because they are 3.6V, so you have fewer cells to make room for.

So those button cell batteries that come with lasers are 3.6v? So why does it take three to Light up one laser diode? I'm worried the laser diodes I ordered are going to be weak now haha

So those button cell batteries that come with lasers are 3.6v? So why does it take three to Light up one laser diode? I'm worried the laser diodes I ordered are going to be weak now haha

No, those little coin cells are only 1.5v each. I'm not sure what battery chemistry they are (think it's air/zinc), but I know they aren't Li-Ion.

I'm working on my Tusky bio and need some assistance on the hookup for the Tri-Laser. I never worked on something like this and am a complete noob at it. I purchased these LED's from RadioShack, Red 120 MCD intensity, T-1-3/4 (5mm) [link below for more information]. With some more drilling they will seem to do just fine, plus the 3mm were way too small as well. From how I look at it, it seems that I shouldn't need a housing and that it should just tuck in the laser holes.

My main problem is what type of wiring should I use. I did some searching and found this thread to be pretty helpful:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...install+led%27s

Lair member "BAM" seems to have a good write out of how to do it, but with being a noob I wanted to make sure I have everything down right before I would start. I have some other questions as well:

Is there connectors that should be used to hook up to the LED's to the wires?

How would I connect the wires to the batter?

The LED's show no [+] or [-] symbols, how could I make sure I hook it up to the correct one, or do I just hook it up to an open connection?

Here's how I did the Radio Shack LEDs in both my modified Rubies bio and in my own custom-made bio:

The LEDs, if you look at them, have one short connector and one long connector. You MUST wire up the long connector of one to the short connector of the other (I do that just by twisting them tightly together, but you can solder them if you really want to be certain). I assume the long connector is the positive, but as I will show, it doesn't matter as long as you have the long-short ends connected to each other. That will leave you with three LEDs wired in series, with a short end open at one side and a long end open at the other.

I used a plain old ordinary 9-volt battery that I velcroed to the inside of the bio. I used the battery-connector thingie with two wires that is also found at Radio Shack. Then I ran one wire from the battery to one connection on the push-button switch (which I also got at Radio Shack); another wire goes from the second connection on the push-button switch to the LEDs, and the final wire goes from the other battery wire to the LEDs. Again, I just twist the wires together and secure it with a bit of electrical tape, but you can solder everything down if you want it to be really secure.

Then what you want to do is turn on the push button switch and touch the two open wires to the two open ends of the LED series. If you have it right, the LEDs will light up--if you have it wrong, they won't, and you need to just switch the wires to the other side. Once it's working, secure all the connections (I use black electrical tape). Then insert the LEDs into the holes in your mask and secure the switch, then tape down all the wires so they don't stick out all over the place.

If you happen to have the LEDs wired wrong (if you have a short end wired to another short end or whatever), you won't hurt the LEDS--they just won't work. If you take them apart and then rewire them correctly, it should be OK.

And there you go. :D

No, those little coin cells are only 1.5v each. I'm not sure what battery chemistry they are (think it's air/zinc), but I know they aren't Li-Ion.

ohh ok cool well at least i know for a last resort i can use them to run my LEDs haha. which coin batterys were you talking about that where 3.6v? do you have a link or pics? those could end up being very useful. I'd much rather use those than a battery pack/ holder

OK so as for the LED question, i just did a Flashing Eyes mod on my wolf bio

I ran 4 7000mcd 3.3v White LEDs from radio shack in parallel off two AAA batteries and a momentary switch

No resistors at all.

heres the thread

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=20034

Includes a diagram and everything. This should help explain how to wire and work the LEDs and in your case just use 3 LEDs. wont make a difference with the battery power.

Hope this helps :D

which coin batterys were you talking about that where 3.6v? do you have a link or pics? those could end up being very useful. I'd much rather use those than a battery pack/ holder

I was looking at the 2450. I like the size versus the AA versions. Then I checked the mAh for the coin batteries and realized you'd be changing batteries a lot more regulary than if you used 2 AAs; the capacity on those is much lower...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back