Hunt for Red October - Missile Keys Identified!

Mike J.

Master Member
So, we all remember the missile keys from Hunt for Red October, right?

Sean Connery kills the political officer, then later takes his missile key, and Tim Curry gets all nervous.

These are the missile keys. Very unique and distinctive looking. The closer you look, the odder they get....

Big, broad 'bows' with large, raised circular details, and some marking in the center? Looks like a particularly ugly car key? ... Painted gloss red.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 353
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 328
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 415
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Recently re-watching Red October for the millionth time, the keys rang a bell, and after some research on the interwebs, I have identified them.

This I pulled out of a shoebox in my closet, containing my childhood keys and keychains collection.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 135
Recognize me now?!

These are older hotel room keys made by Winfield. A search for "Winfield key" should turn them up.

I was lucky enough to score a red-insert one for cheap on eBay.

I will note, for the sticklers for details, the one key we can see clearly in the screencaps seems to have it's marking parallel to the blade of the key, and not perpendicular like mine :( Or, it is marked with a tall "M" to denote the maid's key...

-MJ

Attachments

• keyshopped.jpg
    keyshopped.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 163
Popped out my insert, spray painted my key, then gloss coated it with Future and re-inserted the center.

These are still quite cheap on eBay. This may be one of the cheapest and easiest found object prop replicas you'll own.

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 118
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back