How would you end "House"?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by TheDoctor, Mar 3, 2012.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

So, the series is coming to an end.

It doesn't matter if you're still hanging on episode-by-episode, or if you thought it should have ended in season 2, the question before us now is:

"How would YOU end House?"

The show has such a varied history, I think any number of endings could happen without disappointment.

- "Life Goes On" ending - something BIG happens, but at the end of the episode, the team gathers around the table for their next case.

- "Team Splits Up" ending - the team gets new jobs they can't refuse and House is left with an empty office and the need for a new team.

- "Trial" ending - House is put on trial (either actually, or meta-phsically) and he must account for his actions (though, this they already did that this season) - could also be a retrospective when coupled with a "Death" ending.

- "Wacky/Out-there" ending - Something like going out on a musical, or other completely non-serious ending.

Personally, I'm hoping for the "Wacky" ending. Not something dramatic, but gives closure in a "plays-to-the-story" kind of way. I think the only type of ending I wouldn't be satisfied with is the "It was all a dream" type of ending - I just really hate those - it was cleaver ONCE in the history of TV.

2. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

Trail/Death ending.

3. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Personally, I think he should finally decide to have his leg amputated so he no longer has the constant pain. It would show that he's finally letting go and moving on with his life.

Of course, the show runners seem to always press the idea that nobody ever really changes, so I doubt this will happen...

4. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

I think it should be an "it was all a delusion" ending, with House being put back in a
    straight jacket and led away...............cause he's so freakin' mental............

Shylaah

5. Contec

Contec Master Member

House and his friends sits in a dinner and we hear the door bell "pling" and then Darkness..........................and credits roll.

6. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I was a big fan of House for a long time, but I haven't been watching the past season. Seems like he's gone through everything crazy already (jail, rehab, operating on himself and barely surviving), so it's hard to think about something really out there...

7. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

House gets HIV

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Hugh Laurie wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette. Actually, that's how I'd end Clone Wars too...

I like the "mental patient" idea though - it would go a long long way to addressing the weekly find a magical cure through prednazone rinse-repeat the show became after season 2.

9. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ARRRRRGH! You beat me to it. Or have have Bobby from Dallas walk out from the shower.

How about House OD's and everyone shows up to his funeral. Lots of cured patients, masses of people flocking to the grave site. Camera pans back on hundreds of hundreds of people dressed in black.

Or the song and dance ending where they walk off the set and the director breaks the 4th wall rule.

10. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I'd end it with House having no one and nothing to really account for. He loses everything throughout the season, losing any love interests, losing his team, losing any of his friends he had left and eventually ending up without a home. So, he gets on his motorcycle (does he still have that or did he change vehicles again?) and just takes off without telling anyone for parts unknown, and you never find out where he goes or what he does after that. I mean, how fitting for a show whose main character constantly solves mysteries to leave the audience on a mystery about what happens to him next?

11. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

After losing everything we see house getting on a plane, going who-knows-where. as the plane takes off the scene ends.

New scene opens in a super high tech hospital like something you would see in Star Trek.
    The year is 2157.
    A patient is rushed in, half transformed into some kind of alien creature. The staff cant figure out how to cure him.
    One of the doctors looks at the nurse and says "Go get him."

A few moments later a spider-like robot walks in . On top of the 8 mechanical legs is a glass jar with all sorts of high tech hoses and wires coming out of it. Inside the jar is House's head!

The interns are stunned.....House's head looks at them, and says- "What are you idiots looking at...You've never seen a cyborg before?....lets get started."

Fade to black.

12. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!

13. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I liked how they ended last season, that would have been a good way to wrap up the series. Especially when Wilson says "you'll find him at a dingy bar because that's how he feels about himself", cut to him on a tropical beach.

14. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

House gets Lupus. End.

15. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

It's never lupus. Except that one time it was. :lol

16. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

House wakes up in a hospital bed from his 8-year coma from complications due to the gunshot wound in his leg.

17. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

Yoda wakes up after a spaceship crashed into the swamp near his house on dagobah

18. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Hugh Laurie wakes up in the Jacobite Revolution and BlackAdder is there smacking him around.

19. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Bah, beat me to it.

20. blewis17

blewis17 Sr Member

Quantum Leap style.

21. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Two seasons ago.

22. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Maybe House could be the guy who is walking in the door when Tony Soprano looks up.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  23. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I'm hoping they don't have a big "series finale" episode; end the series with a regular episode.

24. jfagaly25

jfagaly25 New Member

Hard to say House is good but if it is the last episode what about a two part episode something big. Maybe a kind of going away scenario that involves House giving up medicine. House could end if he just realizes being a doctor makes him miserable. maybe the problem with house isn't he's good but that he is useful if you take away his unique intelligence then he is just a doctor. If he were to suddenly like every doctor then that would be the thing to make him give medicine up. Maybe it ends with him tired of "playing god" and just begin to play in essence enjoy things more. His joy would be to know if his intelligence were to be cut smaller and he were less of a doctor he would hate medicine. seeing the way he manipulates others could give him perspective to what he has been blind to that he uses intelligence to make himself feel better about himself being crippled. If he loses that then it is the final straw to make him go on to other things. The happy/sad ending is that House is out of medicine the happy is he is out of medicine the very thing that was making him feel better was in essence a anesthesia for his own personal woews ( infernaties of his leg and his own personal hang ups). By removing him from the source of his"crutch" medicine he becomes less defined by ability more by character. then he realizes his what he missed out on the people he was treating. A little sappy I know but a scene in a park with Wilson pretending to lose to House and a parting shot of house saying" Comon I'm not you" in a slow pan away could be kinda cool. Well that is the best I got.

25. xaoslord

xaoslord Well-Known Member

^This.

26. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

How about adding to this, at the very end, House wakes up, sees he's in the coffin, rolls his eyes and says "Idiots".

I actually like this idea. Bring back a lot of people he cured, people whose lives he changed, who come back to convince him life is still worth living. Now it's time for them to fix him.

27. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Something involving an autistic kid and a Snowglobe.

I'm glad they're ending it, this "People don't change" crap has really gotten bad, as in I would fire whoever wrote the recent episode with the girl living on the streets, because mommy was an addict, and the episode screamed the message that you can't change, EVER. Bull**** my Mother and Father were addicts, both of them overcame their addictions. People change all the time, it's whether the change is a positive, or a negative that's important.

My Ending, House and his Mail Order Bride fall in love, and he decides to say F-it, and go with it.

28. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

*! I was trying to find a way to get Stephen Fry involved in the ending and completely forgot Black Adder! Oh....oh yes....yeeeeessssssssss........

29. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He screws up badly on a case, gets fired and is replaced by a doctor named "Apartment" or "Condo".

30. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

OH! How about a nice ironic ending where House is replaced by guest star Benedict Cumberbatch!

31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

God did it. And it was purgatory all along.

32. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

1. OD
    2. Wakes up and Blackadder is abusing him.
    3. A patient is brought in who complains about waking up in an alley with chest pains. While House is examining him, an alien bursts out of the patients chest and scurries away.

33. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

He gets in a scuffle with a guy above a waterfall and they both fall over. Might as well get one last Holmes reference in.

34. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Everyone meets up in a church, House realizes he's been dead for the past season, fade to white, audience reacts "WTF?", DAH ENDZ

35. xaoslord

xaoslord Well-Known Member

House euthanizes 13 after her Huntington's takes a turn for the worse and he goes to prison.

36. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Or I suppose we could work with this.

[​IMG]

37. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

I agree with this, too.

It's completely out of left field, but I would like a happy ending for the show and though that sounds tragic, it's still a good thing. And who out of everyone on the show and audience would expect House of all people to make a change that drastic and that would drastically influence who he is?

I feel like whatsherface ( his wife ) is going to be there, and I hope she is. I feel like the past couple episodes the creators have made her a very likeable character as if intended for the audience to want her to stay ( contrary to the fact that I can't remember her name ).

I think it's unfortunate because I love the show and have watched it all the way through, but they really have done everything and I feel like the audience is going to blame them for taking an easy/too obvious/stereotypical way out no matter which way it ends.

But yeah, that's what I want.

Amputates leg, gives up medicine because his leg is what made him a good doctor, when he goes to leave the hospital, his wife and/or wilson are there for him.

Though the giant funeral ending would have a massive impact and be pretty amazing too. I just don't like seeing characters I enjoy meet their demise. >_>

38. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

so, the answer was 'perfectly'.

honestly, the episode was slow and i'm not a fan of flashbacks or bringing back old characters for chats but it moved well enough and then the last 15 minutes were AMAZING.

for all the sherlock holmes references it had at its heart, i don't think they could've come up with a better ending. i was actually a bit embarrassed that i didn't call it before it happened! i'm ALWAYS talking about the sherlock references! I guess that's testament to how well they did the prior scenes...so, so sad.

But as a long long longtime fan, I can say I'm very content with it!!!

39. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

House is accidentally shot by a patient, dies and is welcomed to heaven by God, wearing a white suit, played by Stephen Fry.

40. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I am shocked we didn't see Cuddy in last nights episode. You had everry other member of the cast appear EXCEPT her.

Still, wasn't a bad episode. I haven't be up to date with the past few seasons, only bits and pieces here. I am at least glad there was plenty of reference to what was going on.

41. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Soooo? How did it go? I dumped cable years ago so have no clue what happened.

42. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

I would've ended House after the first season.

43. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

You forgot Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" playing in the background.

44. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I thought it was a good ending. It wasn't great, but it was satisfactory. It was a happy ending - and, unlike other series finales (Lost), it didn't leave me angry.

45. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought it was ok. Won't miss it though

46. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

I was reading some news site this morning and there was a big arguement in the discussion section about whether or not he actualy died in the fire. I didn't see it that way when I was watching last night, but they made some interesting points about House's mannerisms and physical state on the steps (Lack of a cane, too clean for someone in a catastrpohic expolsion). There was a small group of people who seemed confident that he was dead and that the ride into the sunset was Wilson's imagination.

I didnt' see it that way, but it is an interesting way to look at the finale.

I didn't start watching until about mid way through season three after I'd had a major surgery and was immobilized for several weeks and caught several marathons, since then I've been a regular viewer, I really enjoyed that show and was glad to see it get a nice final few episodes. The whole Wilson portion of the last few episodes was so sad, I'm glad it had an emotionally challenging conclusion.

47. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I can see that arguement, When would House have been able to switch the Dental records? in fact, where would he have gotten the records for the Patient? it's not like they had to take images during treatment.

And where would he have cleaned up? I guess he COULD have used the hospital and put on a spare set of clothes from the locker room, but could he have done that without being seen?

It is making me think....

48. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

About two years ago! The show started losing its appeal shortly after 13 left the show!

49. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The show had been awful for a few years, but I thought it got better in the second half of this season. I liked the finale.

50. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

That's an interesting notion. If that was how it was intended, I would think the "ride into the sunset" happened after Wilson died rather than only happening in his imagination; i.e., they were friends in life, and remained so in the afterlife. But if that had been the case, I would think Wilson would have given House some static about it, something to the effect of, "See, I told you death wasn't the end."

But seriously, did anyone fall for that ending? Regardless of the weak explanation for House's survival, I knew they hadn't killed him off. To be honest though, I think I would have liked the episode better if they had; it would have been gutsier, especially since his death wouldn't have been related to any of his previous behavior. Overall it wasn't one of their better episodes, but it wasn't a bad way to end the series.