How to print on screen printed plastic bags, with an inkjet printer.

jhusel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I'm working on a prop that I want to finish and potentially offer here but need some help. It is an evidence bag, but instead of handwriting to fill out the form, it is supposed to be printed. The problem is the form is screen printed on a plastic bag and I don't think I can feed that through my printer without messing something up.

So what would be the best way to do this?

A - Print the form and fill it out on a piece of paper and stick it over the form on the bag (I don't think it would look right)
B - Screen print it, but not sure how to do that
C - Vinyl cut the letters and apply it that way
D - ??

EDIT - Someone at work suggested wax paper to print on in reverse and then transfer then by rubbing the backside.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Last edited:
If you are planning on doing a run your best bet is to go to a novelty/specialty printer and have then do a couple hundred bags for you. Most ad specialty printers send them out to a couple of large companies since plastic bags are hard to print onto. Should only run you less than $ .50 a bag if you do the artwork. I used to work for a screen printing ad specialty company and it is the fastest and best way I can think of to do it without a lot of time and hassle.

What exactly are you trying to do? You have bags already with a form already printed on it, like this:

plastic_Grip_Seal_Bags_ziplock_bag_with.jpg

And you now have to print out the filled out text on that bag?

If that is the case, and your ink will stick on the white part, just print the filled out text on a recular printing paper first, then place your bag on top of the printed part, so you know the text will be printed on the correct position, and then tape up the borders of the bag on the printing paper. With a bit of luck, you can feed the paper with the bag taped on it, through the manual feed of your printer.

I'd worry about jamming the feed, but never tried it of course.

Other diy ideas:
- make a stamp
- make a stencil
- make a mini silk screen

Or seek out that novelty print shop suggested above ;)

jhusel, the method to print plastic bag is called Flexography. I don't know if there are any flexography printers near you, and if they would do a limited run of it, but you can try to get informed on this. It's also a really cheap method for printing bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm working on a prop that I want to finish and potentially offer here but need some help. It is an evidence bag, but instead of handwriting to fill out the form, it is supposed to be printed. The problem is the form is screen printed on a plastic bag and I don't think I can feed that through my printer without messing something up.

So what would be the best way to do this?

A - Print the form and fill it out on a piece of paper and stick it over the form on the bag (I don't think it would look right)
B - Screen print it, but not sure how to do that
C - Vinyl cut the letters and apply it that way
D - ??

EDIT - Someone at work suggested wax paper to print on in reverse and then transfer then by rubbing the backside.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Is it possible to print a decal and apply it to the bags?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back