How is this for a hardware Obi ANH?

Grouch

Well not so much hardware but plumbing supplies. I had fun making it, I only wish I was able to torque down on the nipples a little more, it would have brought the overall length down a good 2 inches. Enjoy or not!

10036-dscn0104.jpg

10035-dscn0103.jpg

10034-dscn0102.jpg

10033-dscn0101.jpg

I already want try it again without the pipe nipples and see if I can use a few long bolts to hold together. I would be worried about not having enough compression to prevent it from busting though. fun fun

You can cut the pipe nipples down. Just mount them in a vise, and use a grinder with a cut off wheel, and you can cut them down to the size you need. You will need to clean up the threads with a little bit of hacksaw and diamond file when you are done though. I just re-plumbed an old trailer house for a friend and I had to cut quite a few pieces down just that way to get everything to fit without tearing into the walls.

Are the nipples tapered? If so, cutting the nipples down wont give you much. Tapered nipples can only be tightened down so far and cutting threads off would give your fittings less to hold on to. I used to be a pipe fitter and this was my experience.

Best advice I'd say is to get 2 pipe wrenches and tighten down with as much muscle as you can (if you haven't already done so). Try wrapping the piece in a rag to prevent teeth marks from the wrenches.

You think Jedi have these under there sinks?

Are the nipples tapered? If so, cutting the nipples down wont give you much. Tapered nipples can only be tightened down so far and cutting threads off would give your fittings less to hold on to. I used to be a pipe fitter and this was my experience.

Best advice I'd say is to get 2 pipe wrenches and tighten down with as much muscle as you can (if you haven't already done so). Try wrapping the piece in a rag to prevent teeth marks from the wrenches.

You think Jedi have these under there sinks?

Yeah they are tapered. While putting it together I put a good amount of gun oil on each side, locked it up in a vice and torqued the crap out of it with a big pair of pliers. Its probably not ever getting any tighter or ever coming apart.

Im pretty sure I would need a fire hydrant to get any pressure as a hose nozzle but that has made me think about making a small one from the next size down parts and trying that.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back