Hot Toys Stark Mansion

Boba Debt

Master Member
I have been working on a huge diorama to display our Hot Toys Iron Man collection

Our diorama is an amalgamation of the various Stark Mansion / Work Shops that have been used for the various movies.

It not intended to be an exact replica and I have really on finished the lowest level which is the Wine Cellar.

I’m still working on the Work Shop, Living Quarters and Roof levels but here is my progress so far, bear in mind that this is hard to photograph because it is in a 7’ by 12’ closet in a spar bedroom

Thanks

I am definitely peanut butter and jealous.

Never heard that one......but I like it

Wow!
...I never knew Banner was a wine man. :)

Best display ever, nice job.

I would say it the best display but I can say it's probably the best display in Havelock, NC :)

SUNDAY UPDATE

I didn’t get a lot accomplished this week but I’m really happy with what I did.

I finished the Whiplash F1 Battle diorama today. I was going to add a crowd image behind the chain link fence but I don’t think it need’s it.

I finished the door way to the right of the HOA. I built a door for this area but it looks too busy when it’s closed and it looks too restricted when it’s open so I decided to hold off on it for now

I decided to display my custom Titans in the area reserved for the Avenger Villains.

Since this has change so much since my first post I figured I might as well reshoot the whole thing in its current set up

You sir, just won the internet :cheers Mad props for that figure display. And that giant bunny :lol I take it when HT ships out Pepper, you'll have her throwing bags from the top level?

what a awesome collection and nicely displayed. love the way you are making it into diorama of Starks lab. the one thing i would change is the backdrop behind the The Mandarin AKA Trevor. the tv test pattern with the 10 rings symbol on it looks wrong to me. i think it would look better with a 10 rings flag. just my opinion.

keep up the great work on the diorama looking forward to seeing what else you put into it.

10 rings flag.jpg

You sir, just won the internet :cheers Mad props for that figure display. And that giant bunny :lol I take it when HT ships out Pepper, you'll have her throwing bags from the top level?

It's about time I won something :)

The Pepper idea is good but my wife already said she wants Pepper in the kitchenette washing dishes......she doesn't like Pepper too much.

what a awesome collection and nicely displayed. love the way you are making it into diorama of Starks lab. the one thing i would change is the backdrop behind the The Mandarin AKA Trevor. the tv test pattern with the 10 rings symbol on it looks wrong to me. i think it would look better with a 10 rings flag. just my opinion.

keep up the great work on the diorama looking forward to seeing what else you put into it.

Thanks.

The flag design is different but I paid $20 to get the current back drop printed so I'll stick with it for a while. By the time I'm done fleshing out that shelf You probably won't see much of it antway.

i have some custom iron man from the serie titan too, you have a awesome collection

The front row of Titians are from a custom painting contest I hosted. Boba Fett won but there may have been some bias involved :)

It’s time for an update

Armor Construction Bay

CB%20020_zpsx0hdxoxa.jpg

CB%20021_zpsehaxs5ae.jpg

Video of the working Remote Controlled Overhead Hoist

HOA%20HPP%20078_zpsqjpodqxz.jpg

Updated Displays

HOA%20HPP%20080_zpsml4jxfic.jpg

HOA%20HPP%20082_zpsdr03vamw.jpg

Attachments

• CB%20021_zpsehaxs5ae.jpg
    CB%20021_zpsehaxs5ae.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 86
    CB%20021_zpsehaxs5ae.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 97
  • CB%20020_zpsx0hdxoxa.jpg
    CB%20020_zpsx0hdxoxa.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 89
    CB%20020_zpsx0hdxoxa.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 85
    CB%20020_zpsx0hdxoxa.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 74
  • HOA%20HPP%20078_zpsqjpodqxz.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 92
    149.4 KB · Views: 77
    149.4 KB · Views: 83
    CB%20021_zpsehaxs5ae.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 93
  • HOA%20HPP%20082_zpsdr03vamw.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 88
    172.6 KB · Views: 82
    172.6 KB · Views: 113
  • HOA%20HPP%20080_zpsml4jxfic.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 63
    235.7 KB · Views: 86
    235.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
wow this is so cool!!!
Please tell me you will put is some of the cars in as well.. audi r8, hotrod.. and so on...

I would love to add the cars but I can't for 2 reasons.

In 1/6 Scale they are too big and I can't find the exact models anywhere.

THE LIVING ROOM LEVEL

Due to limitations of the size of our diorama I had to reimagine the floor plan and reformat it to fit the display area

This is what I came up with:

ORIGINAL WALL CONCEPT

I was going to go with a single left corner unit and a right accent wall but when I got it set in place it looked off and the piano was too cramped. I decided to separate the fire place from the Piano Room. Although this is not screen accurate it works for our floor plan.

PACIFIC VIEW

I contacted 12InchFigures and asked him if he could augment a picture of the Pacific ocean I found on the net by adding the balcony and rail that can be seen in the movies. For a very small fee he not only added what I requested but he also thought to incorporate the glass seam lines in my back drop since I would be using a single piece of acrylic to cover it. I had this printed 16” x 60” for $7 at Staples

FINAL TEST FIT

I now had all of the components for a final test fit and IMO, everything worked.

FINISHING THE WALL SECTIONS

To create the vertical cement plank look of the walls I applied 5 thick coats of Kiltz primer and let it cure for 2 days. Then I hand scribe each line. They didn’t have to be perfect, in fact the variation made it look more realistic.

Then I painted the walls with a base coat followed by a light black wash to tone them down

FITTING THE ROCKS TO THE FIRE PLACE

There are rocks all over the mansion but I decided to only use them to accent the fireplace in our diorama. I used real rocks for this and cut the slots into them with my M-100 Brick & Paver Saw.

THE CEILING PANEL

The ceiling had to be a single unit that was easy to get in and out so that I could access to the electrical system for updates and repairs. Because it is so large I decided to make it from alternating layers of 1/4” plywood and 3/4” styrofoam.

This was a very time intensive process because each layer took a day for the glue to cure. As I created the layers I incorporated LED lights. When it was fully built up I did a test fit and this is how it looked.

Once I knew it fit and was going to work I just had to fill all the holes and paint it. I choose white for the recessed areas and rose wood for the rest. The lines were hand scribed in the same way I did the walls. I am very happy with how this came out

THE PIANO ROOM

Screen capture from one of the movies for context

While looking for a 1/6 scale piano I discovered the Sega Grand Piano. It is a player piano meaning that the keys move in sync with the music it is playing. These retail fro over $700 but I found one for $307 shipped from Japan.

To finish the room I added a bunch of 1/6 alcohol accessories and 3 pieces if art from the various movies. My wife suggested that Loki should be the one at the piano and I totally agreed.

THE MAIN FLOOR

Originally I was going to build a huge sectional couch and the coffee table but that all change once I received the Steve Rogers figure. He looked like he should be holding a guitar so posed him with a guitar near the fire place and he looked perfect. So continuing with that theme I decided to drop the couch and go with a party theme. I order a set of drums for Clint and I can populate the rest of the floor with various figures mingling about.

I’m pretty excited about this new direction and look forward to adding to it.

I still have the option to add the couch and coffee table later if I want to, which is what makes this set up so fun.

THE ‘EAMES’ CORNER

Our diorama features a 1/6 scale Vitra Eames lounge chair with ottoman. Vitra replicas are built from real wood, leather and steel and this model normally these normally retail for $795 but I got a used one from eBay for half price.

An incredible 1/6 scale reproduction Brice Marden hangs on the wall. A very nice member of the RPF named Whitehammer re-created this for me from scratch and asked for nothing in return. The guitars and animal skin rug are in every scene and I added the mixer table for fun.

The Eames chair is very popular choice for movies and television. There are actually 2 used in the Stark mansion, a nice black set in the living room and a beat up brown chair in the shop.

It’s supposed to be the most comfortable chair ever, so this is the perfect place for Stan Lee sit.

THE WHOLE SHEBANG

I tried to take a single pictures to capture everything for the Marvel collection thread and this was the best I could do.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back