Hot Glue

predarandy11

hey guys i just wanna ask a noobie question :) as you see predattack , in his huntorial he uses a hot glue gun.
I cant afford a hot glue gun and i was told i can boil glue , what kind of glue do i boil example : PVA glue .....

PS : Hot glue for a thin layer on the foam skin (predattack)

Ive never used hot glue on a mask, but ive built many other costumes and find hot glue is great for a quick fix, but gives way after a while of use. For me E6000 is the stuff, sticks like nothing else but does take 24hrs to cure properly which is its down side, it will grab after a couple of hours but doesnt really want to be disturbed :rolleyes:

Check at dollar stores ( stores where everything costs one dollar) you can usually find Hot glue guns there. As for the glue you can boil using a double boiler method. The glue is essentially a thermal plastic that when heated becomes goopy. When it cools it bonds things together. You can find it at any hardware store or retailer. The problem with hot glue is if left in a hot car it can remelt.

you may want to check out this site http://www.bioweapons.com/HOW_TO_PLANNING.htm . This individual has made complete armor suits using the stuff.

Thank you. I have been reading and re reading that site since I found it some years ago. One day I may grow enough of a spine to try and sculpt up a Guyver.

Have you actually priced hot glue guns? The most expensive one Ive ever seen is less than $20 U.S. I buy the same one all the time and it only cost about $9.
Boiling isn't going to work and will only make a mess. Plus the water will keep it from adhearing to anything. A heat gun will melt it, but they cost more than the hot glue gun.

I use hot glue all the time for casting.

This is the bewbie armor for my wife's Predator I'm working on.

P1040692.jpg

And on our Judge costumes, the tops of the shoulder eagles, the badges and the belt buckles and the kid's entire belt, are made of hot glue. As well as the knuckles on the gloves and buttons on the pouches.

2.jpg

P1040692.jpg

2.jpg

Actually you put it in what is called a double boiler. Essentially you have a pan filled with water with another smaller pan in it with the glue sticks in that. As the water in the first pan boils it heats the second pan thus melting the glue. http://www.ehow.com/how_2096926_improvise-double-boiler.html

This is a great way to melt large amounts of the glue sticks for larger projects. I actually learned this method when my wife and I made candles for our wedding.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back