Hogwarts Boathouse 1:100 Scale Build

nicom1234

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hogwarts Boathouse 1:100 scale - Production style 'White Card' architecture model

There are many changes to the Hogwarts castle and surrounding buildings throughout the films, however the following is based on the Boathouse from 'Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows'.

I used the floor plans made by Nic Henderson, who made them for the film ↓ . You can find his work here

boathouse_steps_plan.jpg

From these floor plans and many reference photos, clips from behind the scenes and Nic's renders, I created a 3D model. Using the thickness of the cardstock in mind, I had to reduce some of the detail, as once laser cut/scored, they wouldn't be seen. Originally I had also created this to be made from plywood, as I liked seeing the texture of the wood beneath the layers of paint. You can see the slightly thicker elements compared with the cardstock model below:

Hogwarts boathouse 3D model.jpg

This was made using a thick cardstock (mount board in UK)

Boathouse Parts.gif

Because of the scale and thickness of the cardstock, most of the detail had to be scored onto the surface or built up in layers.

image00018.jpeg
image00002.jpg
image00001.jpg
image00016.jpeg

I used a textured plastic sheet, with a lake image printed underneath, to achieve the water effect. I would like to eventually surround the model with a shallow pour of resin, so it looks like the lake water is gently lapping up against the slopes.
image00017.jpeg

Next step is to have a go at painting this, even though I do like the white card model look...

nicom1234,
Great project , beautifully executed. The scale 1:100 is a perfect size ( not too big , not too small) for architectual models.
Any further plans for doing other parts of Hogwart’s?

Last edited:
nicom1234,
Great project , beautifully executed. The scale 1:100 is a perfect size ( not too big , not too small) for architectual models.
Any further plans for doing other parts of Hogwort’s?

Thanks! I'm glad that the scale works out. I don't usually do architecture stuff (industrial design trained but used to making prototypes).
I would like to do more but I'm undecided on which section - ultimately I've turned this into a kit, so it's also down to what people like and difficulty of build.

I quite like the look of the viaduct/bridge (just a section, not the whole length!).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back