Help with simple Nostromo Destruct Sequence video and audio prop?

Kurt237

I'm thinking about creating a simple Nostromo Destruct Sequence prop, composed of a screen playing a looping video of the following animated graphic (or something similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9x0y5lqD0

I'm not looking to create a replica prop of the console from the film, just a simple screen that displays the appropriate countdown graphic that I can mount on the wall in my garage. I might eventually incorporate the screen into a piece of film-appropriate styled wall paneling or an "airlock" door. The screen can be small-ish, around 7". The alarm/countdown sound would also play, preferably via audio out to semi-decent speakers.

My question is: What is a good approach for equipment here? Is there a good option for a screen that has an existing USB input (for the video) and audio output? Would a digital picture frame work? Something that is entirely self-contained and that I can just turn on and it plays the video and audio in a loop would be perfect.

I'm also trying to source an affordable yellow beacon light that could accompany the effect and be mounted nearby. I'm considering a yellow beacon light from a DJ/Party supplier, although I'm sure the quality isn't the greatest.

Any suggestions on the best approach to this would be great. Thanks!

Hi. I just saw this thread. It depends how you mean 7" screen. A simple possibility is to simply buy a cheap (yes, they're pretty inexpensive) 7" android tablet on eBay and play your video on that. Totally self contained, and you could run a simple micro usb cable to power it if you wanted to. Since it's self contained and cheap, you might even go 8" or 10" screen size.

Hi. I just saw this thread. It depends how you mean 7" screen. A simple possibility is to simply buy a cheap (yes, they're pretty inexpensive) 7" android tablet on eBay and play your video on that. Totally self contained, and you could run a simple micro usb cable to power it if you wanted to. Since it's self contained and cheap, you might even go 8" or 10" screen size.

Would an android tablet have audio-out capability? I'd like to run audio through a pair of decent speakers to ensure a loud enough effect.

EDIT: Oh, I see that you can get a cable with 1/8 stereo jack on one end and two RCA jacks on the other. I suppose that would work for better sound quality. Thanks!

There's a video on youtube that literally has all the bells and whistles and mothers voice counting down.

*edit*

nevermind, looks like the video linked above has the audio I'm talking about.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back