Help saving props?

Randirien

Hey all.

I've got some flood/water damaged paper props I'm desperately hoping to save, but I'm not confident about the best way to attempt it.
The specific problem is several pages that got wet (thankfully only on one edge) and then dried stuck together. I know simply trying to pull them apart will tear them, and wondered if steaming them would be the safest way to separate the pages safely.

If anyone has any experience or tips that could help me save these pages, I would certainly appreciate the help. Thanks!

I've heard of professionals using freeze drying to save books, but I don't think that is going to help you much unless you have a vacuum pump.

Try recreating the damage on some scrap paper and attempt different ways to seperate the pages. I have no experience, but i think getting the pages wet again will work, but you risk more damage.

What type of paper is this? If it is paper like in a magazine or yearbook, you might be a bit screwed. Those are coated with a clay to make them shiny. If those get wet they glue themselves together. If that is they type of paper you have then you might be able to get them wet again to separate them, but I would definitely experiment with a magazine first.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back