Help Please :(

Welcome.

For anyone to be able to help you they need to know what material you are sculpting in first, as there are a myriad of different techniques depending on what you are using.

Good luck with your endeavor.

OH! im sorry... well i read that for mask scultping i am told to use Oil Based Clay as it does not harden or dry out so i bought some of that. I want to make a Predator helmet but my grip gets so tight sometimes and i end up putting a dent or deep finger prints so i added clay just to end up having lumps and stuff so how would i re frame from touching it so much and smooth it out?

Last edited:
That will definitely make it easier to help, as there are many talented people working with that medium. I sadly don't, so any advise I could give would be for naught. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Also, pictures of the piece will also help others to offer better suggestions and advice. :thumbsup

Some clays you can just rub a little alcohol on them. This smooths it out. I have seen people using this little squeezable plastic bottle, filled with alcohol, and with a lit wick attached. You just squirt it on the piece, and the surface runs like glass. Sorry, I am not a sculptor, I have no idea what those are called (Alcohol Lamp?).

What brand of clay are you using? Alcohol works well to smooth and soften texture. Don't constantly worry about trying to smooth of the sculpt. Get is semi smooth when you are doing rough forms and shapes then when you go to texture worry about smooth it.

I find that using sculpting tools in the manner of rakes (flat pieces of metal with teeth on them) helps the most when you are first starting sculpting finer rakes can be bought or made using guitar strings (the thicker strings make great rakes). Polishing a surface completely smooth after you have raked it as smooth as possible can be done with alcohol and a rag like has been mentioned above or even a 60/40 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol/odorless turpenoid (NOTE: Just because it is odorless doesn't mean it isn't dangerous, please research materials before using them and causing yourself harm). I find final polishing possible with simply water and a rag (like buffing your shoes but much more gently). To get a real polished look you can also get it as close to possible in the sculpt and then make a rough mold so that you can get one pour in resin or fiberglass and then using bondo, primers and wet sanding all the way to a 2000 grit paper to get a highly polished prototype that you can then remold... the processes really depend on what you want your final piece to look like and the amount of time, money, and effort you want to put into the piece. I hope this helps some.

I uSe chavant nsp clay. I use mineral spirits to smooth , but i use it once i finish sculpting, i made 2 custom predator bios and weaponry and im currently doing a predator mask, alcohol havent worked for me

I have not made any helmets but I have used Chavant NSP. Chavant site has a template pdf file to download and cut out and make your own custom tools. I have not found alcohol to work when I have used Chavant NSP, I usually would use a water bottle and mesh cloth or a small blow torch from a distance to heat and smooth clay for blending than used a can of air to dust computers to cool off the sculputure but from a distance and upside down..to close...to much pressure will push your clay and mess up your work...but anyhow looking forward to seeing you helmet .

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back