Help needed to assemble scratch made helmet

Bsoder52

I posted on the DentedHelmet website, but thought I'd try here for advice as well.

I'm pretty happy with my pepekura helmet build since I built it from scratch and I'm not looking for a perfect replica, but I want something better than a cheap costume... in the end.

I need to do the following:
- Cold cast the top of the helmet and remove the pepekura angles still there.
- Remove the extra band I put around the top of the mask, below the top of the helmet, I put on their for reinforcement during the resin/rhondo process.
- Buy a shield for install after paint...suggestions for best cheap one one there?
- Attach the ear pieces...at a total loss here...no idea what compound will work best for this. Inside the ear pieces I used Rhondo and the outside of the mask is resin. Suggestions for what to use to put them together?
- Gotta get my rattlecans for painting....researched this prior and know what to get.

Thanks so much for any help community!!!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment IMG_20151015_164428304.jpg

Welcome!!

First off, you don't want to cast the helmet until it is all smooth. So that means you need to bondo/rondo the helmet to smooth the lines out. Adding bondo and then sanding will smooth it out nicely. The outer band is a bit of a harder problem. In the future, any reinforcements should be on the inside to keep the outside simple. You can cut it away now that you have the resin done and then add the correct brow and resin again. The ear pieces need to be smoothed with bondo on the outside as well and then attached with super-glue or 2-part epoxy. I like the epoxy. I used a welders full face plate in the dark green and then cut out the shape with a pair of metal shears.

If removing the brow seems like too much work you can always remake the helmet without the extra outside brow. I know it seems like alot of work but that is part of the learning process. I have been doing this for decades and I still make a piece, decide it is not the way I need it too be, trash it, then build a newer and better version. It also goes a lot faster on the second build with all the knowledge you gained from building it the first time. With a little trimming and a number of coats of bondo and sanding you will have a great looking helmet!

Good Luck!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back