Help identify a CIA Badge holder

Pitbull

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone know what these badges are called the actual badge holder not the ID.

5109904384_1727715d18.jpg

I think that particular folio is a custom job, it's simply card covered in cloth or very thin leather/leatherette. The ID is then simply pasted on.
You can make a replica very simply, I made something similar for a friend some months back.

25sbdkz.jpg

I don't think it's custom it has to be something you can at least buy.
Federal agencies do get custom items made. Here's a closer image of a folio. It's all glued together, not solid leather, windows & separate removable cards like a more modern ID. It dates from the 1950's.

Called "commission books" or "folio books" and they are made by book binders. Similar to a book cover with no pages inside. The super security minded agencies, inc. the FBI back in the 60's-70's, did it like a sandwich to discourage taking it apart. Folio books had the ID's glued into them. Then, the clear cover was placed on top and sometimes a "window frame" was put on top of the covers. Then the window frame, clear cover, ID, and folio book was sewn together using an industrial sewing machine. If you tried to remove the ID, it would get torn up. Of course, this was back in the days before scanners, digital imaging, etc.

So, if you can find a book binder in town, or locate a company that does diploma covers, you can probably get them to "folio" your IDs for you.

I, personally, love the old ID cards with their engraved printing look and floral design elements, glued into a rigid folio book. The OSS and subsequent CIA IDs are classic examples, as are early US Postal Inspector commission books. True art, often printed by the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

many federal agency's used the commission books or folios in early times. one being postal inspectors in the early 1800's to 1900's these were a work of art. other agencys did aswell including secret service, dea / bndd, fbi and others. i personally have replicas for fbi, cia. curently working on a 1935 usms replica. the folios are hard to find because there hardly used anymore. the agency's changed to leather double id case. hope this helps

the id on the right looks like the cia id that director allen dulles carried back in 1962. nice job:thumbsup

QUOTE=Kennyd;1532646]I think that particular folio is a custom job, it's simply card covered in cloth or very thin leather/leatherette. The ID is then simply pasted on.
You can make a replica very simply, I made something similar for a friend some months back.

25sbdkz.jpg
[/QUOTE]

are you kidding? posting images of curent federal ids will get you a visit from the federal government. there are nice images of old ones like fbi,dea,cia if you can find them.

I didn't say to scan a CIA ID. It could be a replica from a movie/book/newspaper but a replica who is looking almost like the real one(very authentic looking of CIA credential ID ).

I think it's a stupid thing to have a law like this. I would punish the use of these IDs without having the authority but...the possession of a replica?!

I hear you but even replicas are frowned upon now.

I didn't say to scan a CIA ID. It could be a replica from a movie/book/newspaper but a replica who is looking almost like the real one(very authentic looking of CIA credential ID ).

I think it's a stupid thing to have a law like this. I would punish the use of these IDs without having the authority but...the possession of a replica?!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back