Help designing dry-fireable bow (as in LOTR, Narnia)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Icetigris, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

I want to build a bow similar to those used on screen in LOTR. I read here that they were made of injection-molded rubber; I also read somewhere that Susan's bow in Narnia was made of foam with a spring steel core.

What I want to know is, since I don't have injection molding equipment, is what kind of rubber or foam should I use and should I sculpt my original in the strung or unstrung configuration?

This is the bow I am trying to make (Louise's from Fire Emblem):
    [​IMG]

If there are any Weta people lurking about who might be able to give some details or insight about the builds of those bows, I would be eternally grateful.

2. marksman321

marksman321 New Member

I would also like to know this. Will be following this thread closely

3. Hoverboots

Hoverboots Member

I am immensely interested as well. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

4. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

Just to clarify, I'm looking for technical specs on the rubber or foam I should use. I'd like to know the shore hardness of the rubber and the expansion factor for the foam. I am assuming that the rubber is urethane and that the foam is flexible, self-skinning polyurethane foam. I also would really like to know if I should sculpt the original as strung or unstrung cause I want to start sculpting soon.

5. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

Weta people do hang around here, right?

6. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

Apologies for necroposting, but I came back to this project and had a small breakthrough around Halloween. I'm going to try to use collapsible fiberglass rods like they use in kites as a core (I'm actually using a rib from one of those Ikea LOVA leaf canopies), and then put a removable self-skinning foam cover over it. I'm working on the Breakers' Bow from Bastion for Katsucon, so I'll try to post progress shots.
    breakersbow.png breakersbow1.png

7. TrentR

TrentR Member

Not a necropost if it's your own thread. I'd love to see your progress on this build, especially if you're doing the Breaker's Bow.
    What's the product you're using from IKEA? Perhaps a pic of it and how you're using it?

[Edit] Oh, you're talking about the rib support from this? http://ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/60054636/

Sent from my Nexus 4

8. Dracosfire83

Dracosfire83 Well-Known Member

You could also look up "PVC bow" on YouTube for more ideas.

9. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

TrentR, yes the rib support from this. I actually used it as my bow prop at work for Halloween just to see how it would go (dressed as BLU Sniper from Team Fortress 2):

tumblr_mvk86d0iMj1qe94n7o2_1280.jpg

10. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

Progress render of my model:
    [​IMG]
    I warped the artwork such that the bow was in the unstrung position. I still have to model the blades and generate toolpaths.