Help designing dry-fireable bow (as in LOTR, Narnia)

Icetigris

I want to build a bow similar to those used on screen in LOTR. I read here that they were made of injection-molded rubber; I also read somewhere that Susan's bow in Narnia was made of foam with a spring steel core.

What I want to know is, since I don't have injection molding equipment, is what kind of rubber or foam should I use and should I sculpt my original in the strung or unstrung configuration?

This is the bow I am trying to make (Louise's from Fire Emblem):
bow.png

If there are any Weta people lurking about who might be able to give some details or insight about the builds of those bows, I would be eternally grateful.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for technical specs on the rubber or foam I should use. I'd like to know the shore hardness of the rubber and the expansion factor for the foam. I am assuming that the rubber is urethane and that the foam is flexible, self-skinning polyurethane foam. I also would really like to know if I should sculpt the original as strung or unstrung cause I want to start sculpting soon.

Apologies for necroposting, but I came back to this project and had a small breakthrough around Halloween. I'm going to try to use collapsible fiberglass rods like they use in kites as a core (I'm actually using a rib from one of those Ikea LOVA leaf canopies), and then put a removable self-skinning foam cover over it. I'm working on the Breakers' Bow from Bastion for Katsucon, so I'll try to post progress shots.
breakersbow.pngbreakersbow1.png

TrentR, yes the rib support from this. I actually used it as my bow prop at work for Halloween just to see how it would go (dressed as BLU Sniper from Team Fortress 2):

tumblr_mvk86d0iMj1qe94n7o2_1280.jpg

Progress render of my model:
tumblr_mz9uz1TFvW1qe94n7o1_1280.png

I warped the artwork such that the bow was in the unstrung position. I still have to model the blades and generate toolpaths.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back