Helmet making help.

ajohnson15

Ok so I am a complete noob to things like this and haven't been able to find any thing online to help me on my quest.

I would like to know how to make helmets. (ie: magneto, power rangers, etc.) but i have no idea on how to start.

I would like to know what materials I should use, which ones work the best, which ones suck, etc.

Not asking for anyone to hold my hand but just to be pointed in the right direction.

But i feel the most help I will be needing is proper molding techniques. I feel once I have mastered that i can do whatever i put my mind to.

Thanx to anyone who can assist me.

Ok, cool - you're not in the sticks. Well First, welcome to the RPF!

Find a relatively small fibreglass (not autobody) shop somewhere near you, and get to know him. Tell him what you are wanting to do.

for fibreglass - use mat instead of cloth.
for resin - West System 105 (205 hardener) or....

Ask the fibreglass guy if he'll sell you resin and glass. I get my resin and hardener in bulk from my local guy and saves me about $100 each time over getting it retail. These guys buy their stuff by the 55 gallon drum, and will usually sell you a gallon for $30-$50 (depends on the guy)

I get my hardener for free.

For fillers, Bondo is a bee-yotch to sand because its filled with talcum powder. Some guys use Evercoat Metal Glaze, but its pretty expensive for what you get. I've also used USC Feather-rite, If you cant find the stuff below I would go for it.

I get something called "Fairing Compound", It uses microscopic glass bubbles, and it sands like a dream. My fibreglass guy mixes it up for me.
Its commonly found in yacht building facilities, so call around to a few and ask if they use it; then buy a coffee can full from them.

- Always do these things in a well ventilated area

- Always use a respirator or good quality dust mask

Hope that helps.

Brandon

Last edited:
That's all pretty good advice, Brandomack.
So, if I was doing it, I would sculpt the master out of a hard clay, like chavant, seal it up with crystal clear and make a mold of it. If it has a whole lot of details, I would go for a silicone mold jacketed with fiberglass or plaster bandages, made in as many parts as necessary for the shape. Then I would make fiberglass parts out of the mold. Starting with the appropriate colors of gel coat and then adding the layers of the mat glass and laminating resin. My supply is Fiberglass Supply out of Washington state. Good luck.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back