Hellboy: Johann Kraus helmet V2

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hej all,

You might remember my entry into this years Halloween contest- Johann Kraus from Hellboy 2. Well, I sold the costume but decided to build a new and improved helmet for myself. (I put this in the props section as I will not be doing a full costume- only the helmet/shoulders as a 1:1 bust.)

For the V2 I am making a LOT of small improvements. One of them is using material that is easier to work with (lots of styrene and fibreglass). I am also 3d printing a lot of parts and trying to improve screen accuracy, even though getting it exact is almost impossible due to the complexity of this helmet. As before, I am basing the build off of a motorcycle helmet.

Here's the first photo (with improved 3d printed "mouth" parts inset).

I've been slowly working on this project and am making some progress. Here's the latest couple of parts that I've had 3d printed:
attachment.php

These are the two "tusks" that go on either side of the helmet. In my V1 build I did them in cold-cast metal with styrene details but now I was able to come very close in accuracy. #d printing is turning out to be a life-saver for me right now because I haven't yet been able to set up a proper work-area but can still make props and prop parts.

And here is a rendering of the ones that I will print next:
attachment.php

The two large valves and the two gauge housings. I made the valve with the handle in two separate parts so that it can be made to turn.

More to come soon!

Got more 3d printed pieces yesterday- the two large valves and pressure gauge housings. These are the biggest pieces I've printed so far and also the most delicate in regards to wall thickness and size. (You can see my 3d printed metal resurrection amulet in the photo as a size comparison.) One thing I've noticed is that print quality seems to suffer a little when printing huge items. It's not really a problem though, as their size makes them easy to work with and smooth out.

I'm now close to having everything needed for this build, so hopefully I'll be able to tackle it over the summer.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back