Harry Shearer leaves The Simpsons

DuneMuadDib

Sr Member
Quoted from these tweets:

from James L. Brooks' lawyer: "show will go on, Harry will not be a part of it, wish him the best.". (1/2)

This because I wanted what we've always had: the freedom to do other work. Of course, I wish him the very best. (2/2)

Given the dozens of characters that he voiced I'm wondering how they carry on since they've got orders for two more seasons. Recast, or write out Burns, Smithers, Flanders, et al.?

They will have to recast, even if it means hiring several other people who can do one voice each, get some unknowns and it shouldn't cost that much.

This isn't like Maude Flanders or Lionel Hutz, Burns is the antagonist for the entire show.

WOW! That's quite a surprise. There are a LOT of talented folks out there. I hope FOX opens the auditions to the general public. :)

A long run, wishing Harry all the best in whatever he chooses to do! :thumbsup

There seems to be a couple of articles floating around. Did he want to leave or did they make him leave because he wanted to do other work too?

It was over his share of the merchandising pie. They weren't overtly preventing him from doing other work, but it seems they needed him often enough that it's gotten in the way of other pusuits (which consist of a lot more than just voice acting). So that statement was him finding a silver lining.

IMO this may be a turning point in the whole show in hindsight. They are like 25 years into it. You don't run ANY show that long without losing major players, even animated. It's amazing they haven't lost more than they already have. It's Burns & Smithers today, it may be Homer or Marge tomorrow. Sooner or later these people are going to leave. They probably can't keep any of them with bigger paychecks alone anymore.

IMO this may be a turning point in the whole show in hindsight. They are like 25 years into it. You don't run ANY show that long without losing major players, even animated. It's amazing they haven't lost more than they already have. It's Burns & Smithers today, it may be Homer or Marge tomorrow. Sooner or later these people are going to leave. They probably can't keep any of them with bigger paychecks alone anymore.

Actually in recent years the actors have taken pay cuts to keep the show going. They hopefully are getting something on the backend to even it out.

I hope this is one step closer to the Simpsons finale that I've always wanted to see: a really angry and sad one. Marge finally leaves Homer, she gets custody of the the kids, meets a man she deserves; Bart straightens out and grows up to not be a loser, Lisa actually makes something of herself, Maggie grows up to live a normal life almost without any memory of her father. They meet occasionally at functions and events for the children, but there's real tension between Marge and Homer. Sure, there were good, and sweet moments, but Marge and the whole of Springfield has changed, except Homer; he's still the same bumbling buffoon who still can't get his act straight. The show ends with an old Homer, who's really dialed it back, so he could get to know his grand-kids, so the show isn't a complete downer.

I doubt it'll ever go like that, but a man can dream.

Not a small thing. As glunark said, more than just Burns. Also Flanders, Smithers Lovejoy, Otto, Principal Skinner, Lenny... The thing about the Simpsons is that most of the cast it's really split between him, Castellaneta, and Azaria. It's a noticeable chunk of the male characters leaving or changing voices.

I remember him saying the first time around, when the cast and crew were going through squabbles, that he wasn't happy with the quality of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the main factor this time, too: "pay me more if you want me to keep spewing this garbage" kinda thing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back