hands WIP

Fayne

PhotoEditor_20190217_160636091.jpg

this is the partially finished products with a lot of imperfections / flashing right out of the molds.

Personally I prefer the shorter type, unless possibly going the elder pred look. Shorter seems like it would make more sense for an active hunter, whereas the longer would look better for a less active elder. Just my $.02!

first step doing it this way was make an oversized general shape I could refine. I used dental acrylic and press on nails.
20190216_170726.jpg

Last edited:
the small goes mostly to the nail bed and around the tip. the added bulk of the large makes it heavier and clumsier so I made it around the entire finger tip. the large can be installed straight or like I want, at a slight upward angle on the nailbed. for clearance when making a fist. that's part of why it has that curve. it also has a lot of flashing at the tip due to an air void so each needs some extra filing before use.
20190217_153917.jpg
20190217_154323.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the shorter type, unless possibly going the elder pred look. Shorter seems like it would make more sense for an active hunter, whereas the longer would look better for a less active elder. Just my $.02!

TY for the feedback. seems you're in the majority too. cool thing is these might make good mandibles later on too.

That's good thinking! Was about to ask if you coated some base with latex or what medium you utilized.
I could have sculpted in clay or better, wax for this, let it sit cool then mold but this was readily available. if doing it again I think I'd go microcrystaline wax or a really hard wax based clay and carve them polish before molding.

Fayne My choice would be the second ones....why because more finer when carrying props at conventions. I use polymer soft clay to make my claws for example. This clay I buy it directly from JAPAN :D

Fayne My choice would be the second ones....why because more finer when carrying props at conventions. I use polymer soft clay to make my claws for example. This clay I buy it directly from JAPAN :D

cool and thanks for the reply. my finished ones will also be in dental acrylic. in thicknesses over 1/4" it's pretty tough stuff.

20190223_024230.jpg
2 huge solid platinum molds later...... I wanted durable molds (not just the surface) so I went solid platinum without any backfill. I'll make my set and my son's set in dental acrylic but might do some ivory urethane later for necklace. now to get these cast and attached to some gloves.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back