Gun metal grey on Vader Armor

anakin

I know there was a thread dedicated to the two tone/ grey/ silvery area of the mask.
There are some who match the two tone of the mask to Vaders upper chest armor (sans the shoulder bells - ESB - gloss black) However, I'm not trying to match the faceplate with the armor.

I need to redo my "grey" area's and wondering if anyone knows a specific brand? My armor is ESB colors. I tried dupli color GM Gunmetal Bronze A Canon GM 344 and although the shading is great - I would like the little flecks/specks/sparkle of silver - which this brand doesn't seem to have. Also, being in Canada, I might not always find or have brands that some U.S props peeps have access to.

Any suggestions in the dupli color, color wheel ?

Cheers

Gabe

I used the Duplicolor Gunmetal for the mask. It says PICKUP< TRCUK AND SUV on the front of the can. It had the metal fleck in it. For the armor I used Duplicolor GM Charcol. Its close to Gunmetal, but it looks a tad bit darker.

You could do what the Trek TNG fans do on the tricorders... spray gray and put a little silver "mist" on top of it. :D

- K

I used all Plasti-Kote and it turned out great...add a little clear coat afterwwards...and it will look awesome....just don't mix paint brands.

good luck.
M.

Nobody answered my question in the other thread, so maybe someone here will. Why do you need the two-tone on the helmet? Since they are going for just a reflected surface on an all black helmet, wouldn't black be the preferred helmet color?

Originally posted by Immortal Goat@Oct 14 2005, 12:40 AM
Nobody answered my question in the other thread, so maybe someone here will. Why do you need the two-tone on the helmet? Since they are going for just a reflected surface on an all black helmet, wouldn't black be the preferred helmet color?
[snapback]1096280[/snapback]​

The helmet looks too "black" without the two tone color scheme. I took pictures of my Rubies Supreme bucket before I painted the correct scheme and it looked like a big black blob before I painted it the correct scheme. With the two tone scheme, it still looks dark but has much more definition.

Thanks Guy's

Found it

Dupli Color T177 Gunmetal Truck, Van and SUV paint
dsc092626kf.jpg

dsc092639nk.jpg

Yup, that's it. Here's how it looks on my Rubies....

114677006.jpg

It's got a nice reflective flake pattern to it. :)

Betamin,

did you rough it up at all first, or just spray?

Just curious how the new paint stuck.. Looks T(*)I(*)Ts btw..

Thanks. It was a long slow job getting it to the point you see.....After doing all the mods to the helmet, I primed it and sanded that smooth before painting. There's a tutorial on modifying and painting the Rubies helmet that TK1215 did that is very informative.

Here's the link.

http://www.imperial-fleet.com/vader/r/

Ohhh man. O.k - the gunmetal is perfect - however what is the proper "masking" used, that doesn't leave a sticky residue on the finish? I've been through 3 brands of painters tape and each one just leaves it's mark on the new area painted ( masked after 48 hours of dry time). What is the best brand of masking to use? Is there a special brand for lacquer finishes?

Thanks

G

Next time dont wait for the paint to dry.....once you have it painted peel off the tape that way there is minimal amount of time for the tape to stick.

Looks good Betamin.

Just curious, what did you use to square off the vents on the bottom? I used a square file but mine aren't as nice as yours.

Originally posted by anakin@Oct 16 2005, 06:37 PM
Ohhh man.  O.k - the gunmetal is perfect - however what is the proper "masking" used, that doesn't  leave a sticky residue on the finish? I've been through 3 brands of painters tape and each one just leaves it's mark on the new area painted (  masked after 48 hours of dry time).  What is the best brand of masking to use? Is there a special brand for lacquer finishes?

Thanks

G
[snapback]1097873[/snapback]​

3M painters tape is great, it much easier to remove when cool, I have had problem with it when it out in the sun and it get warm.
Like someone else said though, mask it, spray and pull it off after about 15 mins of dry time.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Oct 17 2005, 01:39 AM
Looks good Betamin.

Just curious, what did you use to square off the vents on the bottom? I used a square file but mine aren't as nice as yours.
[snapback]1097902[/snapback]​

Thanks. I used a flat file that is about an inch wide with the flat edges, and used the edge to shape the corners on the longer slots after using a set of small files of various types to take the roundness out. One was a flat file that just fit the width of the slot perfectly, so it was good to use to do final smoothing. You can find the little files at Ace Hardware. The small flat one was about $5 by itself. They're definitely proud of their little files, judging by the prices on them.
:lol

Another thing.... I put a lot of the epoxy on the inside the "lip" area of the mask to build up under the slots so I could take them down farther than what they were with the round bottoms.

Originally posted by anakin@Oct 14 2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Guy's

Found it

Dupli Color T177  Gunmetal  Truck, Van and SUV paint
dsc092626kf.jpg

dsc092639nk.jpg

[snapback]1096570[/snapback]​

Yup, thats the color. I used the bluse masking tape for general use, but for finer lines, and curves I used automotive pin striping.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Oct 14 2005, 12:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Oct 14 2005, 12:45 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Immortal Goat
@Oct 14 2005, 12:40 AM
[snapback]1096280[/snapback]​

The helmet looks too "black" without the two tone color scheme. I took pictures of my Rubies Supreme bucket before I painted the correct scheme and it looked like a big black blob before I painted it the correct scheme. With the two tone scheme, it still looks dark but has much more definition.
[snapback]1096285[/snapback]​
[/b]

Anyone tried Tamiya Color Spray on Rubies Supreme armor? If yes, which one to go for?

Originally posted by darthraider@Feb 4 2006, 04:34 AM
Anyone tried Tamiya Color Spray on Rubies Supreme armor? If yes, which one to go for?

Nope, I used the Dupli-Color paint. I would be weary about using modelling paint on the armor but that's just me. I am actually in the process of repainting my Rubies armor as we speak so that I can have an extra set of armor to go along with my GT.

Originally posted by darthraider@Feb 4 2006, 03:34 AM
[snapback]1175711[/snapback]​

I used that for my armor and it worked awesome..very nice color as well...i also sprayed my rubies belt buckle with it and it looks better. the only thing is, i would suggest painting the black with fusion first and giving it the full 7-10 day cure prior to masking...then mask with pinstripe tape and masking tape combo to get the right curved mask...then do the gun metal tamiya paint....

tamiya is made for abs plastic so it adheres well, I was a bit impatient my first time around and sprayed the gunmetal first...after waiting a day or so i test masked it in a spot that was to be painted black and after leaving the painters blue masking tape by 3m down for a few minutes, some small chip sections released with the tape...thats why i suggest the black first, the other reason is you shouldnt paint a solid over a metallic either.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back