Greyhound: A Tom Hanks U-boat movie

I've been waiting for a good u-boat movie since Das-Boot. I pretend U-571 doesn't exist like I pretend Flyboys doesn't exist as a WW1 airplane movie.

I just hope I can see past Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks. He might have achieved Tom Cruise status for me in that I can no longer see the characters they are portraying.

I like this trailer and am hopeful it's a good war movie.

Other than the stupid trailer cut and sounds, this looks great. Tom Hanks is pretty damned good in dramatic roles like this, and I love this time period (not for the carnage and incredible death that ensued, and certainly not to glorify war) and the incredible struggles that the world went through. Such a transitional period that people are seeing more and more through the foggy passage of time.

I used to work for the Canadian War Museum in the dress and regalia conservation department, and one of the most incredible things for me was not just touching and reading about the history of the things I worked with, but the smells. It makes things so much more "real" to add that aspect, and I really wish movies like this could include things like that.

Well, now we have the other side of the coin; first Das-Boot and the life inside a U-Boat. Now the ships that fought them to make sure that supply/troops ships (merchant Navy lost so many) and the soldiers were reaching the front...not much back-up from planes for obvious reasons. Looks good for sure!

I like Tom Hanks and I'm a sucker for a
WW II submarine movie but this just doesn't look good to me. It seems over dramatized and a bit over the top. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I could really go for a good submarine movie right now.

I like Tom Hanks and I'm a sucker for a
WW II submarine movie but this just doesn't look good to me. It seems over dramatized and a bit over the top. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I could really go for a good submarine movie right now.

I spent 8 years in the US Navy, in subs... totally ruined Hunt for Red October movie for me. ;)

Haha.
Well thanks for your service!
Yeah it's hard to watch military movies with my wife. She did 6 years in the Navy and she can't help but point things out, "take your cover off"! Haha.

Just finished watching it. Enjoyed the hell out of it! wish it was about an hour longer. a little CG heavy (water effects are always hard to pull off) but once things get rolling, things are going to fast to notice.

Wife and I watched it last night, enjoyed the heck out of it. Moves fast, doesn’t overstay it’s welcome (maybe even too fast and I love fast) and has pretty good suspense. A little Iffy CG heavy, but overall worth it. Especially since I’d have paid 40-50 bucks to see it in the theater (and I would have) between the tickets and then of course the really expensive food stuffs that the wife believes is a true necessity for the theatrical experience.

He always thought that I was crazy skydiving, which I took up for practice if I ever had to eject from an aircraft.:D

I still say you Guys had it harder definitely a special breed!(y)

Me? I'm a confirmed coward. As long as your not claustrophobic, your main enemy is boredom.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back