Golden Fertility Idol cast from 3rd generation mould? Authentic?

00failure

Hello all, just a quick back story! I was recently given an idol by a work colleague who was given it by a friend back in '96. The person claimed it was pulled from a 2nd-3rd generation mould and it shows, the cast is a bit scruffy and it's clear there was some mould degradation.
I plan to restore it and make a new silicone mould but I was curious as to its authenticity. I have, to my best abilities, researched the different idols in existance and compared mine to several pictures but i'm still reluctant to say if it's the real deal. So, can anyone lend a helping hand?!
Pictures of mine, the primer conceals quite a lot of imperfections.
IMG_1286.JPGIMG_1287.JPGIMG_1288.JPGIMG_1289.JPGRaiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-Fertility-Idol-Movie-Prop-Comparison-Original-Replica-ScreenUsed-Studio-.jpg

Well I went ahead and made a mould! I know you lot are probably sick of seeing these things but I thought i'd share as i'm pretty happy with the results!
IMG_1297.JPGIMG_1299.JPGIMG_1306.JPGIMG_1309.JPGIMG_1312.JPGAs you can see, I decided to go all out and make a plinth too as well as cast one using a bronze powder.

I can't say as to the lineage but it sure is a nice looking Idol.

Congrats.

Maybe one of our Idol experts can chime in.

Regardless it looks real nice.

Looks nice to me. I've never been able to find a nice Idol that was not more than I was will to spend.

I worked with a guy who had one he got off of eBay over ten years ago and he had to do alot of filling, he ended up gold leafing his. I think your cast one is great!

Thanks for the feedback! Forgot to mention that although they're roto-cast, I actually back-filled them with sand so they weigh a good 2Kg!

Looks nice to me. I've never been able to find a nice Idol that was not more than I was will to spend.

Yeah, I though that too until this happened upon me by chance. I did consider a small run but they're just so easy to come by now.

I worked with a guy who had one he got off of eBay over ten years ago and he had to do alot of filling, he ended up gold leafing his. I think your cast one is great!

Thanks! I will hopefully do a gold leaf one next week as well as receive some moss for the stand.

I'm not sure if this is one of them but there are a good number of (good and bad) copies in circulation that can draw a line directly back to one of the original sculpts. One of those in question was at ILM and Lorne Peterson had it on his desk and while Lorne was away on vacation, a junior ILM staffer made numerous copies which caused quite a bit of a fuss.

Great looking Idol..

I'm not sure if this is one of them but there are a good number of (good and bad) copies in circulation that can draw a line directly back to one of the original sculpts. One of those in question was at ILM and Lorne Peterson had it on his desk and while Lorne was away on vacation, a junior ILM staffer made numerous copies which caused quite a bit of a fuss.

Great looking Idol..

Thanks! I can't believe someone had the audacity to do that!
Another bit of information I was told by a university lecturer; actually, was that the very original sculpt was provided by his sister from a small foreign souvenir shop in Bath, it's was a poorly sculpted pottery idol that was produced in very small numbers for people who wanted something from South America. Now I'm not sure if that's 100% true, but he is quite an intelligent man but he could have embellished it! It would explain the crude arms and legs which really do look like clay sausages!

Thanks! I can't believe someone had the audacity to do that!
Another bit of information I was told by a university lecturer; actually, was that the very original sculpt was provided by his sister from a small foreign souvenir shop in Bath, it's was a poorly sculpted pottery idol that was produced in very small numbers for people who wanted something from South America. Now I'm not sure if that's 100% true, but he is quite an intelligent man but he could have embellished it! It would explain the crude arms and legs which really do look like clay sausages!

It was actually based on this
Aztec_Birthing_Figure_(Dumbarton_Oaks)_front_1.jpg
a carving in the pre-Columbian collection at Dumbarton Oaks.

It was actually based on this

a carving in the pre-Columbian collection at Dumbarton Oaks.
I always thought that turned out to be fake, but anyway, I presumed the gift shop based it on that. Regardless, it always looked to me like it had been sculpted in a hurry, I don't think they ever intended for it to gather this much popularity as a prop.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back