Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Post-release)

What did you think of Godzilla: King of the Monsters?

• Total voters
giphy.gif

that's all I can say !

FX are nice but still not completely on board. The bad ‘zilla movies were either too heavy on the human drama or too preachy about environmentalism. This movie looks like it has both.

I really wish they could've invested in separate kaiju movies for Mothra and Rodan before doing a King Ghidorah movie with multiple monsters. It's like Warner Brothers doing Justice League all over again.

King Ghidorah was my absolute favorite kaiju of all time and he looks great here. They better not screw him up.

Not a big fan of the US Godzilla design, though. It reminds me of an overweight chihuahua.

I'm probably one of the few people who really likes the op Shin Godzilla. It's less anthropomorphic and more uncomfortably alien. I like the zombie-like beady eyes. The skin fissures provokes a degree of trypophobia. Sometimes it's a little too CG but I really do like the Shin Godzilla kaiju design.

Last edited:
Saw the trailer on the big screen when my son and I went to see Endgame- it looks really epic! The monsters are thankfully away from the rubber suits I grew up with- still love those old films but seeing these done in a realistic fashion is wonderful.
My only concern is that the trailer has all the action and the rest of the film is the slow buildup for 90 minutes

Ignore the story. It’s as bad as the originals and makes as much sense. Watch for the spectacle. Big monsters fighting. Also the music. Especially a certain theme when the Big G appears!

Also, is Kyle Chandler in the Godzilla vs Kong movie? Just musing as it will be the second time he will face off against the Hairy One, as he was in he Peter Jackson version too.

My wife and I just got home from watching and throughly enjoyed it, there is a human story that tried to evolve , which it does, I won’t post any spoilers, just stay for the credits to add to the movie....

HAIL TO THE KING!

I know the RT score is low but I'm guessin' many simply are not fans
of the genre and just doin' their job.

Lot of freekin' epic moments. If I'm gonna gripe I would gripe that
yeah, people are gonna get pulverized in some of the scenes, humans
are just too close to the action, but that's a lot of movies these days.

People story was more engaging than the last one I thought.
Some really cool moments with the girl, kids can annoy the hell out of me
but she had some great moments.
I'll just say lots of nods to G lore in the right places done right!!!

And man Ghidorah was a real A-hole in this movie! LOL

Crowd gave applause at the end. Safe to say it was
obviously a G fan crowd.

And stay for after credits.

I honestly still wanted more monster action, it felt like the cutaways to what the people were doing happened throughout every single fight, and when the monsters were fighting, it was always rainy and hard to see and only rarely did the camera pull away enough to really be able to see all of what was going on.

But overall I enjoyed it. I just wish we didnt have to have such a people driven film... but I know we do. Loved all the references and nods to various films. Great fake out near the end.

It was a bit odd that they decided to make up more kaiju when they could have put some of the more minor once in those places, but some of them were pretty cool, like the Mammoth.

It's also kinda funny that in this movie they "blow up" Godzilla twice... they never learn. Also, wasnt it kind of a bad idea to blow up Godzilla's Atlantis hideout, especially considering they mentioned thats how he has survived for so long?

Last edited:
It was a bit odd that they decided to make up more kaiju when they could have put some of the more minor once in those places, but some of them were pretty cool, like the Mammoth.

It's also kinda funny that in this movie they "blow up" Godzilla twice... they never learn. Also, wasnt it kind of a bad idea to blow up Godzilla's Atlantis hideout, especially considering they mentioned thats how he has survived for so long?

I think maybe licensing costs, make some new monsters for new toy sales, and they didn’t have much choice to nuke start him, time was running out.

'Godzilla' Looks to Become King of the Weekend Box Office
by Brad Brevet
May 30, 2019

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: WB's Godzilla: King of the Monsters brought in an estimated $19.6 million on Friday, which includes the $6.3 million from Thursday night previews. The question now is just how well it can hold on through the weekend. Kong: Skull Island brought in $20.1 million on Friday before a $61 million opening. However, it had a much smaller Thursday night preview performance, though it did match Godzilla's "B+" CinemaScore, which keeps the door open for a $50+ million performance.

Is it too much to ask for a monster fight in day you can see, without constantly cutting away?

Possibly. Any professional digital artists have insight????
Perhaps it keeps CGI costs down, sort of a "rubber suit" solution of our times and
helps the film have a better chance at being profitable.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back