Gluing Fur?

Jesuit24

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm building a mogwai from Gremlins and I'm soon going to find myself at the furring stage. I've wracked my brain trying to find a method of attaching the fur and found a couple different approaches online but I'm unsure which is the best for what I'm doing. Essentially, I've cast a resin head and body which stands at about 10 inches tall. I need to cover everything except the limbs, ears, eyes and mouth with fur Here's a picture for reference:
3371d1335704477-daffy-mogwai-puppet-2.jpg

Online, I've sourced 75mm pile fur in ginger, white and black which should suit my needs but I need to figure out how to apply it seamlessly. Obviously since we're dealing with curved edges, the fur won't conform unless there's some stretch to it (is there? I've yet to order in the fur in a bid to keep my options open). This is what I've come up with:

1) The fursuit method. As in this tutorial, I'd create a flat 'paper' net out of masking tape for each colour which is transferred to the fur to give me the amount of material I'd need. I'd have to cut darts into the fabric to get it to lie flat. Essentially, I'd have large pieces to glue down.
2) I wing it, cutting whatever shapes will fit the curvature and gradually build up the surface area. Unlike the first option, I'd have more smaller pieces to glue down. This method would have more seams but might form to the shape of the body better?
3) I cut thin vertical strips of fur to conform to the curvature of the resin. This method would probably take a long time and I think the seams are more likely to be visible?
4) I cut the fur seperate from the backing and glue it directly onto the resin. This would be messy and take even longer to build up fur. I think people only do this for scaled models or thin hair.
5) I punch the hair in. Not really an option for me though. It would take forever and required a whole different setup.

Also, regarding trimming and shaving, is it better to do it on the model or before when it's on a flat surface?

I've already invested money in the moulding and casting, so I'd appreciate any insight into how this is done. I can't quite seem to find a tutorial or approach to what I'm doing specifically and I'd much rather have a plan before I start in case I waste materials and money.

Thanks.

1) The fursuit method. As in this tutorial, I'd create a flat 'paper' net out of masking tape for each colour which is transferred to the fur to give me the amount of material I'd need. I'd have to cut darts into the fabric to get it to lie flat. Essentially, I'd have large pieces to glue down.
2) I wing it, cutting whatever shapes will fit the curvature and gradually build up the surface area. Unlike the first option, I'd have more smaller pieces to glue down. This method would have more seams but might form to the shape of the body better?

I have not done anything like this, but I'd suggest #1 or maybe #2 are your best options. Hopefully you brush the fur to blend and cover the seams later.

My wife makes Teddy Bears and they are really cool. I'll have to see if she can make a Mogwai.

i think you should try and contact rpf member:predatortje
here's a link i saw him do some time back...it looks like he could help you with your fur questions.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-mogwai-gremlins-202633/?highlight=mogw

and i thought of another idea, not sure it will work or not but if i had to do it.... i think i would build a plain white fur suit and shoot dye with an air brush on the color parts.
just an idea! :cool

I finished my Daffy yesterday
Now doing Mohawk.

IMG_4234.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

i think you should try and contact rpf member:predatortje
here's a link i saw him do some time back...it looks like he could help you with your fur questions.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-mogwai-gremlins-202633/?highlight=mogw

and i thought of another idea, not sure it will work or not but if i had to do it.... i think i would build a plain white fur suit and shoot dye with an air brush on the color parts.
just an idea! :cool

I've painted the black spots this time, last year i made a daffy with real pieces of fur and one with airbrush,
airbrush did not look good, painting the hair with a brush looks much better.
this is what i did with the recently finished daffy.

my next projext is Mohawk

- - - Updated - - -

I'm building a mogwai from Gremlins and I'm soon going to find myself at the furring stage. I've wracked my brain trying to find a method of attaching the fur and found a couple different approaches online but I'm unsure which is the best for what I'm doing. Essentially, I've cast a resin head and body which stands at about 10 inches tall. I need to cover everything except the limbs, ears, eyes and mouth with fur Here's a picture for reference:
View attachment 420829

Online, I've sourced 75mm pile fur in ginger, white and black which should suit my needs but I need to figure out how to apply it seamlessly. Obviously since we're dealing with curved edges, the fur won't conform unless there's some stretch to it (is there? I've yet to order in the fur in a bid to keep my options open). This is what I've come up with:

3) I cut thin vertical strips of fur to conform to the curvature of the resin. This method would probably take a long time and I think the seams are more likely to be visible?
4) I cut the fur seperate from the backing and glue it directly onto the resin. This would be messy and take even longer to build up fur. I think people only do this for scaled models or thin hair.
5) I punch the hair in. Not really an option for me though. It would take forever and required a whole different setup.

Also, regarding trimming and shaving, is it better to do it on the model or before when it's on a flat surface?

I've already invested money in the moulding and casting, so I'd appreciate any insight into how this is done. I can't quite seem to find a tutorial or approach to what I'm doing specifically and I'd much rather have a plan before I start in case I waste materials and money.

Thanks.

Do you have the molds for the ears and different faces?

I finished my Daffy yesterday
Now doing Mohawk.

View attachment 422186

That looks great! I hope mine looks half as good as yours.

Do you have the molds for the ears and different faces?

I have the ears attached to the back of the head with the eyes and face seperate. Similarly, the arms and legs are attached to the body, but the hands, feet and head are seperate.

How did you glue the fur? In clumps or using a template?

This is my progress. Gluing the fur seems easier than I expected but I'm having trouble with the fur at the edges of the pieces I'm cutting; I can see through to the base fabric.
Fur #1.jpg

I've tried cutting with scissors, with a sharp scalpel on the back of the fur, giving myself edge allowance and folding the fur back on itself but no matter what, I seem to have too little coverage on the edges. This seems to be exclusive to the white fur since the ginger fur covers well. I bought both sets of fur from the same place; they're the same pile height, same texture and everything so I'd have assumed they were the same quality but maybe the white fur isn't as good. Is there anything I'm missing or anything I can do to prevent shedding?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back