General Kael - Willow

Lifeburn

Sr Member
I have just recently finished this costume after about a year of research and 6 months of actually building.

General Kael's mask is next to impossible to find to I had to sculpt my own out of Super Sculpey. It's mounted onto a cheap spartan costume helmet. All of the armor pieces are 22 gauge steel, including the "ear" pieces, so the armor is a little heavy. The scale mail and the main chest piece are made out of foam and covered with glue to give them a leather look. I had also made the sword but it had a few pieces come apart before taking these pics so I didn't include it.

This costume is not screen accurate, but I'm not one of those people that shoot for that kind of thing. As long as it is recognizable and it looks good, who cares.

Anyways, I would like to hear everyone's thought on this as I am pretty proud of it.

PS. As I wore this around a recent convention I was amazed at how many people have never seen the movie Willow.

General Kael_1 by Matthew Crotts, on Flickr

General Kael_4 by Matthew Crotts, on Flickr

General Kael by Matthew Crotts, on Flickr

General Kael_2 by Matthew Crotts, on Flickr

Last edited:
You did a great job. I recognized it immediately.
It would be great to see some in progress and assembly pictures.
A dark wash on the mask would make your details pop. It looks like in your pictures the shadows are achieved just through your lighting.

You did a great job. I recognized it immediately.
It would be great to see some in progress and assembly pictures.
A dark wash on the mask would make your details pop. It looks like in your pictures the shadows are achieved just through your lighting.

Thank you. Unfortunately I never took any pics during the build because I was keeping it under wraps.

The facemask is pretty weathered already, I airbrushed blacks and browns into all the crevices and between teeth. The flash in the photos just wash all of that out.

Looks awesome Lifeburn:thumbsup But I'll have to be honest I never heard of Willow :ninja

Go watch Willow!

Someone just directed me here. I hope you're going to Dragon*Con. I'm making a Sorsha costume for it and I'd FREAK OUT TO GET PHOTOS WITH YOU

Also, happy 25 years fellow Willow fan! :D

Someone just directed me here. I hope you're going to Dragon*Con. I'm making a Sorsha costume for it and I'd FREAK OUT TO GET PHOTOS WITH YOU

Also, happy 25 years fellow Willow fan! :D

I will be at DragonCon, good luck on your Sorsha and I hope to see you there.

Awesome, I loved that mask and had always meant to get around to making one. Yours is fantastic, nice job.

Willow was and is still one of my absolute favourite films and it was so amazing to find your Kael costume and a Sorsha costume on RPF. This is really well done. I love the mask and overall gear.
It's nice to see old films have character's costumes replicated for cons and fun. I had someone ask me if doing Amazons from Xena would be okay cause of how old the show is... *face palms* Anyway I am so glad to see Willow has some characters out there for cons :D

This mask is so hard to find. I want to start the attempt to make one myself.. what type of mold did you use for the skull...or did you freehand that? BTW excellent job looks stellar

IMG_0774.JPG

Here is my attempt. I have made a vaccuform version withch is very lightweight. I have been away from my project due to my divorce, but I should get back into it soon.IMG_0775.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back