Fruit Painting (Help please?) - End result photo!

Master Blaster

Hello guys, I've been a while away from my models building because I'm also dedicating my spare time to my another hobby which is photography.

I know its out off topic as this question is not related to any model building but I would like to hear from experienced AIRBRUSH PAINTERS if they ever managed to paint a FRESH FRUIT specifically small berries such as: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and grapes?

I have an assignment and my vision to accomplish that is by "chroming" some fresh fruits with ALCLAD and then taking picture of it.
I could mold the fruit and then make it of resin or something similar but I have no time for that, so my only one option is to paint over the fresh fruit.

I know the results won't the perfect and won't last long, but I'm hopping to get just the best I can and then take the photos.

So, please any ideas for this challenge please?

I would very much appreciate any ideas.

Thanks so much for reading.

PS: If the mods think this is not appropriate to post here please, just delete the thread please.

Last edited:
Re: Fruit Painting (Help please?)

Do you want the paint to be dry or can it still be wet while on the fruit?
Would just a simple rattle can work, or maybe even buy a small can of paint and dip the fruit in, then take the picture if wet is ok.

Do you want the paint to be dry or can it still be wet while on the fruit?
Would just a simple rattle can work, or maybe even buy a small can of paint and dip the fruit in, then take the picture if wet is ok.

That's why asking never hurt!

Thanks so much mate, I did not think of that!
The rattle will not give me the "chrome" effect.
But dipping the fruit in a silver based paint would!?

While I was waiting for a reply here, I've start painting the fruits, first layer of gloss black, just to see what happens, if that doesn't work, I will try your idea!

Again, Thanks so much!
MB

If you spray high gloss black first and then spray your chrome you'll probably get the best results. You'll have to let the gloss black dry first.

Alternatively you could mould the fruit in silicon and cast them in resin, clean up the new resin fruit seams and mold marks and send them off to someone who does chroming of plastic.

If you spray high gloss black first and then spray your chrome you'll probably get the best results. You'll have to let the gloss black dry first.

Alternatively you could mould the fruit in silicon and cast them in resin, clean up the new resin fruit seams and mold marks and send them off to someone who does chroming of plastic.

Thanks for your help mate!

I have just checked the coat of gloss black and its looks like "sealed" the natural wet juice inside the fruits, and the paint is dry Yeah!
Airbrushed the Alclad Chrome.. The grapes are looking fantastic... Just waiting the paint to dry to be touched and go for the photos, If its works will post the result later if you guys like to see it.

Sounds like its working out for you. Hope its all good. You going to post the pics afterwards so we can see the results?

Does it need to be legit fruit? I would consider going a craft store and looking at fake plastic fruit. There are usually very life-like fake fruit readily available, and I bet they would take paint better than real fruit,

--Alex

So how did it turn out?

I have just checked the coat of gloss black and its looks like "sealed" the natural wet juice inside the fruits, and the paint is dry Yeah!
Airbrushed the Alclad Chrome.. The grapes are looking fantastic... Just waiting the paint to dry to be touched and go for the photos, If its works will post the result later if you guys like to see it.

Last edited:

That looks pretty sexy to me.

Hey mate, sorry for the delay to get back...
I'm not 100% happy with it, but turned out to be successful and popular on Flickr 80K+ Views / 600+ Faves. / 80+ Comments.
I also toke non macro shots of the fruits, will post some time soon.

Hope you like.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3668/32581317414_7f4daf98f9.jpgMM: Chrome Strawberries (No Photoshop) [Explored 14/03/2017] by Mark Photography, on Flickr

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back