From Russia With Love: Briefcase

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I know this is a 12 year old thread, but I figured since I’m working on my replica I’d share...

The case I found on eBay from ‘nick1974selling’, he sells vintage English luggage. It was an old Victor Luggage attaché case. The AR7 rifle being 16” long while being stored, the case is 16-1/4” inside diameter so it was just too good to pass up at $250. I tore out the lining and recreated a new insert from matte board and red lambskin leather. I realize the original is most likely paper lining, but I just thought the red leather was very handsome.

The case itself was brown, so I wiped it down with acetone and re dyed it with oil dye for leather. It came out much better than I expected.

image.jpg

I was also able to find a vintage elcometer on eBay. The readout on the meter was recreated to a more screen accurate version.

I am also working on the camera/tape recorder, which is a vintage Rolleiflex camera (which are pricy) and what I believe is an old Norelco mini tape recorder. So far it’s a pretty good start.

Thanks guys. No, the sovereigns are repros that I got for cheap on eBay. I think they were about $3-4 each from a Moroccan seller by the name of 'rkaystore'. I know there are supposed to be 50, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get all of them into the thin strips of leather. I don't see him listing any more, but he made a second order of coins for me after I messaged him. I'm sure he would offer more if asked.

The strips were punched with a 7/8" leather hole punch, which is slightly smaller than the sovereigns.

Also, here is the photo of Tatiana that I made if anyone is interested. Print at 100% scale for a 4x6. It includes the white border, and looks best when printed on photo paper.

Tatiana.jpg

Here is Kerim Bey's consulate map. I traced it in autocad from a screen capture and polished it up in photoshop. Size is 24x18. I printed it on poster paper at 100% scale. It really looks nice...

Consulate Map Prop (upload).jpg

Gary, you might enjoy this video I did with David Zaritsky regarding the FRWL Attache Case.
Starts at: 36:23

-Ed
Ed, that case is outstanding. Was the case actually built from scratch? Also, were the sovereigns adhered originally to the leather strips? I was under the assumption that the leather had 7/8" holes punched and the coins slipped in. If they were just glued to the strips it would be a lot easier to fabricate.

attachetalc02 copy.png attachetalc03 copy.png yardley007talc01.jpg yardley007talc02.jpg yardley007talc03.jpg

This is what I could find on the Talc Tin. It seemed the right size, shape, design, etc. including brass cap and base. It's steel so it will stick to a magnet with no issue. It also has a sliding cap, which appears similar to the one in the screen shot when examined closely. I'm going to copper plate and zinc powder the whole tin to give it the proper brass trimming and to clean up the existing brass that has been rusted away. It's an old Yardley Talc tin. I believe it was contemporary to the time. The wide angle lens on my iPhone does not do the comparison justice. Not sure which one Ed used, but this was the best I could find after several days of research. They're pretty cheap on eBay...

The original case was built by scratch by Albert "Bert" Luxford. He worked with Syd Cain in designing the case so it would function as the story required. Swaine Adeney originally DID supply the case but, according to Luxford (when we met him to discuss the case), it was decided not to customize their case but rather to build one from scratch out of aluminum,

With all the custom work done and the case made out of aluminum, it was quite heavy. The special effects case was only used when we see the case being given Bond and again when sitting on the bench in the train.

All the other times it was the Swaine Adeney case being carried. The exterior look of both is the same.
The gold Sovereigns were nothing more than British shillings that he said they spray painted gold. I believe the coins were simply glued on a leather strip.

I personally prefer the coins being slipped into the punched out holes and am currently working on producing a replica of an idealized leather strip containing 12 replica Sovereigns (same as yours) on the one side and 13 on the obverse. Twin strips produce the 50 coins we hear mentioned.

as you saw in the video, I have put together a 72 page booklet on CD all about the Attaché case containing all photographs I took of Desmond's Special effects case including photos of the interior mechanisms. -Ed

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back