First time sculpting

Alucard1

So this is my first sculpt of my mask..and it's no were near completion XD..I've worked on it for around 8 hours and it still looks like I've only spent 1 or 2..so I need some tips from everyone at the hunters lair. Throw em at me guys XD

1441585208634-227548329.jpg

Keep it symmetrical. Underneath the piece mark the width and length that you are trying to achieve and refer to that every now and again.
Usurper personally told me 'It takes time' so don't worry about it. Get the basic shapes in for your mask. And after you are satisfied build up the details for example bulging cheeks, etc patterns. I was told that you start of with the basic shapes after that is done place the secondary shapes while keeping the symmetry accurate enough to not look weird. Then after you are happy with the way it looks, scrape of the excess areas that you don't want and smooth the mask out with alcohol .Basic shapes first! 'Secondary shapes' 'symmetry' after all of that is perfect smooth the mask out.
Bio Masks can take months to complete. Don't work for 8 hours straight work on it for an hour or two. Then return to it. You notice the mistakes when you cleared your head. That's what I do. Those are my tips others may have a different approach to it. The symmetry bit helps though as well as keeping the mask in proportion with the predator head.

Thanks for the tips Wreav, always their to save my ass XD. Sadly I'm working with air dry clay because I'm cheap so i can't let it sit for to long

Oh ****... most people recommend Chavant NSP Medium for bio masks. The biggest fear is cracking while you're making the mould. It's happened to me, and I do not wish to ever show my extreme mistakes on these forum but I have made huge mistakes in terms of clay. Well without further a do I hope it's air drying clay like WED. Please tell me it is. If its terracotta or any of that air drying clay that's not suited for this then you're basically screwed in the long run.
To make it survive here is what I did, I used water spay on top of the piece and place cling film over to lock in the water so you can go for a few hours.

**** dude thought you might say that..it's some poly form model air clay I'll google it to see if I can make a mould out of it

WED (Air Drying) Or Chavant (oil based) or Monster clay (oiled based). Only three I would recommend for your specific piece. You can continue and hope that your piece will be alive long enough to get a mould out of it. :/

Unless your 14 years old with no money only ever use clay meant for FX work for sculpting, you'll never achieve desirable results with 'hobby' clay. Such clays are meant for children to noodle with, all it will do is make you feel despondant. You'll think your crap when it's the materials that are letting you down. Don't want to sound discouraging but 60% of success is down to using the the right materials and tools.

We
Unless your 14 years old with no money only ever use clay meant for FX work for sculpting, you'll never achieve desirable results with 'hobby' clay, all it will do is make you feel despondant. You'll think your crap when it's the materials that are letting you down. Don't want to sound discouraging but 60% of success is down to using the the right materials and tools.
Well I'm 13 and have no money...does that count too XD

XD well I'm restarting then.. o well that's ok this clay is a huge pain to work with and I don't like my product so far..thanks for all the tips guys :)

Well in that case get your parents to buy you WED clay, it's cheap and its been used in the FX industry for years and years. You could get a big enough block for like $30. All you have to do is throw a wet towel over it to keep from drying out.

They tend to use WED on large to very large scale sculpts in the industry, because of its cheapness but you can use it for anything.

Btw since I can't post on market place yet any one want to trade something for a death stroke mask? The mask is banged up and I made little mods to help it fit me better, but it's made for an adult...I got it for 125, but it cracked a little so I fixed it with hot glue..just if anyone wants to trade for it

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back