Fake stone for Excalibur - King Arthur story

joeranger

Sr Member
On Friday, I am appearing as King Arthur at a kids Diabetes camp.
I would like to make a fake stone to pull Excalibur from. It would be really cool if I could figure out a way to make it so that only I could pull the sword. (latch, magnet...)

I could also buy one of those fake rocks they use to cover backyard well heads.
Has anyone made fake rocks?

The King.jpg

I made this stone pedestal for my holy grail. It's just foam covered in spackle. While it was semi dry I patted it all over with plastic grocery bags to give it more of a stone look, next I sprayed it with one of those stone texture spray paints to give it some grainyness. Then I painted a base of terra cotta color, followed by several shades of browns and black dry brushed on, then a wash of brown/black, then I flicked specks of the black wash on with the brush and left it sit to make the little dots.

I watched a bunch of fake stone videos on youtube and took some techniques from several of them. You could do the same with any shaped foam really and then just use probably a light gray as your base.

IMG_3438.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back