Excellent movie/TV scenes.

Honestly, the scene in Sherlock in which Moriarty visits 221 B Baker Street after having all charges against him dropped in season 2, episode 3. It was bone chilling the first time I watched it. They knocked it out of the park with the pacing and choice of odd camera angles. The performances from both actors was spot on as well. That scene really got under my skin and helped mold my current shooting style. Love it.

I saw this yesterday and it's still making me laugh.
MASH - Radar is trying to wake up Trapper and Hawkeye after they had just completed a big shift in the OR. So Radar shakes Trapper and Trapper says something like "If you don't stop I'm going to clean off your glasses so you can see where you really are!" :lol

For the **** just got real category: The ending scene in the "And Now His Watch Has Ended" episode from Game of Thrones when Daenerys takes control of The Unsullied and shows no mercy to anyone that opposes her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-S9VVH-toc (Linked for NSFW because of violence and some language.)

The Red Wedding scene for the latest episode might just top it. Heartbreaking and **** definitely just got real.

Game Of Thrones S03E09 Red Wedding Scene - YouTube (Linked because of NSFW for extreme violence. And DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.)

1. M*A*S*H* - When Radar walks into the operating room to notify everyone that Henry Blake's plane crashed on the return flight home and that there were no survivors.

2. Field of Dreams - When the baseball player (can't remember the name) has to make the decision to cross the line that leads off of the field to help the choking child. He knows that if he does, he will no longer be the young man fulfilling his baseball dreams, but, rather, the older doctor that he really was, saving the child's life.

Last edited:

Not as epic as some of the examples before, but still "excellent" and a true classic nonetheless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a bump, but just wanted to add a few of my own:

Futurama: Jurassic Bark

If you don't come close to crying at the end you're not human. The entire episode has been showing us the importance of Fry's 20th century relationship with his dog Seymour and his efforts to return Seymour to life having found his remains in the year 3000. At the last minute he discovers that Seymour lived for many years after Fry was frozen and, assuming Seymour had a happy life without him, abandons his efforts and says a tearful farewell to his former best friend. And then the story rips your heart out by showing us a montage of Seymour's years after Fry disappeared, sitting outisde the pizza parlour day in day out, waiting for his friend to come back. In the last shot the old and ragged dog lays down and closes his eyes for the last time....

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Duet

The moment where a Cardassian pretending to be a hated war criminal finally realises that his ruse has been uncovered is a masterful performance. He tries to avoid the questions, he launches into a tirade about his supposed desire to slaughter every Bajoran in the labour camp, and finally, when Kira insists he is not who he says he is, he starts off, still pretending to be the war criminal, on a contemptuous rank about how usseless and cowardly that person was, but as he describes how he used to cover his ears to block out the screams of the Bajoran workers he breaks down in tears and finally admits his real identity and how ashamed he was of his cowardice, seeing the awful things going on there but not having the courage to do or say anything to try to stop them. It's a superb performance.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1

Riker - "Mr. Worf... FIRE."

Ruined a summer for me.

Me too... Except it was just for a week, since we got TNG in Australia years after it was screened in the US.
But, I did walk into university, and heard the cool kids talking about the cliffhanger! Suddenly TNG was cool! :)

Great storytelling!

-Skyler101

Yes, here in the UK we only had to wait out that cliffhanger for a week too. It was several years before I even realised the two episodes were from different seasons.

Other moments I can think of:

Apollo13

We know the story. We know it ends well. And yet the tension built up during the longer-than-planned re-entry means that when the picture finall shows the spacecraft under the parachutes and the voice of Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell comes over the comm I have a strong urge to leap up and punch the air in triumph and relief.

Blackadder Goes Forth: Goodbyeee

The story goes that the writers, concenred that people might object to a series deriving humour from the horror of the trench warfare of the First World War, crafted the final episode to stifle those complaints. And the result was a masterstroke of television. Half an hour of pure gold. There's some fantastic comedy in there (Ah, cappucino!), and slowly the emphasis shifts until finally there is almost no comedy at all. There's a beautifully uncomfortable laugh from the audience when one of the characters starts to rejoice that the war might be over and they lived through 'The Great War: nineteen fourteen to nineteen seventeen'. And then they go over the top....

Doctor Who: The Ribos Operation

On the primitive planet Ribos, Unstoffe, the young assistant to a spacefaring con-man, is on the run from the authorities. When it looks like he's cornered an old man, filthy and dressed in rags, waves him inside a small hovel and hides him. The guard questions the old man and identifies him as Binro the heretic, laughhing at his current poor fortune before walking away. When Unstoffe asks what he meant, the old man explains that he used to be a man of high social standing until he publicly proclaimed his theory that the 'little points of light' in the night sky were not ice crystals but were in fact suns, and that each had planets orbiting it, just as Ribos orbits its own sun. He was outcast, losing everything he had. Unstoffe then tells this old man he only just met that in fact he is absolutely right, and he knows it to be true because he comes from one of those other worlds. "I thought I should tell you because one day, even here, in the future, people will look back and say 'Binro was right'." Binro is speechless and takes Unstoffe's hand, weeping into it. It's a beautiful moment, and in the next episode it is alluded to when Binro risks capture to help Unstoffe. When Unstoffe asks why he replies: "For years, I was jeered and derided. I began to doubt even myself. Then you came along, and you told me I was right. Just to know that for certain, Unstoffe, well, is worth a life, eh?"

Blackadder Goes Forth: Goodbyeee

The story goes that the writers, concenred that people might object to a series deriving humour from the horror of the trench warfare of the First World War, crafted the final episode to stifle those complaints. And the result was a masterstroke of television. Half an hour of pure gold. There's some fantastic comedy in there (Ah, cappucino!), and slowly the emphasis shifts until finally there is almost no comedy at all. There's a beautifully uncomfortable laugh from the audience when one of the characters starts to rejoice that the war might be over and they lived through 'The Great War: nineteen fourteen to nineteen seventeen'. And then they go over the top....

AGREE! Such a FANTASTIC half hour of television! Incredibly moving ending as well.

And the ending was born out of depseration too. They shot the 'going over the top once at the end of the day. Everyone was totally shocked by the proximity of the explosions and the debris flying around and Rowan Atkinson said they were not doing a retake. So they had to work with what they had shot on the two or three cameras of that one attempt, which looked awful. But they slowed it down, slowly faded to black and white, put a slow piano solo of the theme over it, then faded it to a stock shot of a field of poppies, and bingo, victory from the jaws of defeat!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back