ESB Stormtrooper Helmet Humbrol Paint?

JoeR

Sr Member
I am doing a replica of the Christies ESB helmet and need to check which Humbrol paint was used for the Tear and Trap and Ear areas, or the closest match as I seem to remember someone saying they were decals.

Needs lots of work but I am getting there slowly:

esbreplica0039ih.jpg

Joe

Joe,

The tear and traps were decals. 100% positive , so I'm not sure what the closest match would be.

It's up to you but I wouldn't paint the details on, I have a replica of the ESB Christies made by ANH trooper and I had to send the paint on the tears and traps, hand brush some gloss white dulux paint over and then add some decals to make it look even more accurate.

On the ears I use humbrol dark ad grey (5) and satin black.

Are you going to stick a patch on the back of the helmet?

Cheers
A

Originally posted by HDPE STORMY@Feb 3 2006, 11:10 AM
Joe,

The tear and traps were decals. 100% positive , so I'm not sure what the closest match would be.

It's up to you but I wouldn't paint the details on, I have a replica of the ESB Christies made by ANH trooper and I had to send the paint on the tears and traps, hand brush some gloss white dulux paint over and then add some decals to make it look even more accurate.

On the ears I use humbrol dark ad grey (5) and satin black.

Are you going to stick a patch on the back of the helmet?

Cheers
A
[snapback]1174953[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info buddy. I have used decals, it is just the ears I need to sort out. Can you post pics of yours????? I want to do a patch if I can find one.

Joe

I don't have any good pics at the moment.

The tube stripes were made by Jeezy/ TJ... :thumbsup

The other decals, (I printed myself using someone else design :thumbsup also) are temporary and will be replaced with better ones .

hdpechrisies4.jpg

hdpechristies.jpg

Originally posted by HDPE STORMY@Feb 3 2006, 03:59 PM
I don't have any good pics at the moment.

The tube stripes were made by Jeezy/ TJ... :thumbsup

The other decals, (I printed myself using someone else design :thumbsup also)  are temporary and will be replaced with better ones .

hdpechrisies4.jpg

hdpechristies.jpg

[snapback]1175049[/snapback]​

Thanks Slave.

That is nice HDPE, I wonder where he got the badge??

Joe

Joe,

If you want to be more realistic on the paint job, I suggest paint the helmet khaki color first. Let it dry, really dry. You can coat it with flat mate to seal and protect the khaki color from the next step.

Then, paint the helmet white gloss, wait a few moments but dont let the paint completely dry. Quickly attach on the area you want to look chips and dings a clear tape, rub it on the clear tape making pattern you want then rip the clear tape away.

Hopefully the effect will be the white gloss area is being taken away by the clear tape and exposing the khaki color. Then let the remaining of the white gloss color dry. Doing this way also add depth and realism like it is used.

Just a suggestion thou.

Originally posted by The Dark Side@Feb 3 2006, 08:10 AM
I am doing a replica of the Christies ESB helmet and need to check which Humbrol paint was used for the Tear and Trap and Ear areas, or the closest match as I seem to remember someone saying they were decals.

Needs lots of work but I am getting there slowly:
[snip]
[snapback]1174929[/snapback]​

Originally posted by The Dark Side@Feb 3 2006, 05:04 PM
That is nice HDPE, I wonder where he got the badge??

Joe

They are both great looking helmets :thumbsup

The patch on the back of the helmet you can get on Ebay there is one going just now. It is however not 100% the same as the one on the helmet sold at Christies. On HDPE's helmet there is a TM just under the top part of the S on WARS on the Christies helmet TM has a circle around it and it is at the bottom of the S on Wars.

esbHDPE04.jpg

hdpechristies.jpg

Anyway don't want to detract from you guys great work I was just letting you know there are a couple of variations of the patch.

Great work guys :)

Cheers Chris.

They are both great looking helmets 
Cheers Chris

If you're interested in knowing what the real patch is on the real ESB Christies I have discovered the following:

"A rare crew patch was given to cast & crew who worked within the production of “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back”, the patch features the logo used in Star Wars and a similar patch that was blue in colour was used for the Norwegian Unit, this is the rare black version of that patch."

If you want the real deal its £79 :rolleyes

Later

A

Joe,

If you want to be more realistic on the paint job, I suggest paint the helmet khaki color first. Let it dry, really dry. You can coat it with flat mate to seal and protect the khaki color from the next step.

Then, paint the helmet white gloss, wait a few moments but dont let the paint completely dry. Quickly attach on the area you want to look chips and dings a clear tape, rub it on the clear tape making pattern you want then rip the clear tape away.

Err thats exactly what I did... :rolleyes

It is still a work in progress, I need to lift the paint a little where the HDPE is showing.

Thanks for the patch info guys.

Joe

I got the patch on ebay for something like $10.I remember making that helmet,it was a lot of fun.I will make another eventually as I do miss it :(

I have one all painted up now in beige grey ready to paint,but it will be an ANH version for when I finish building up my new suit.

Nice decals HDPE,I will need some of those in the near future.I have seen the one's offered somewhere on here,but I think the tube stripes let them down.They are too equally spaced and perfect.Maybe I'll get some made up?

-Paul.

Originally posted by ANH trooper@Feb 5 2006, 04:00 PM
I have seen the one's offered somewhere on here,but I think the tube stripes let them down.They are too equally spaced and perfect.Maybe I'll get some made up?
-Paul.
[snapback]1176783[/snapback]​

Excellent idea.

In my opinion the ear colour is a grey very close to the grey of the decals.

As grey is just about as neutral a colour as you can get, it is highly prone to colour shifts due to lighting and photographic conditions.

You can see on these two helmets that the ear colour is pretty much bang on with the decals, but that it looks like two completely different shades of grey between the two pictures:

molloesb1.jpg

esbHDPE01.jpg

I would suggest that whatever paint you use on the ears that it match the decals fairly closely.

It is also my opinion that the ESB decals are not as blue or purple as some people think.

If the decal sheet Jez is holding here is anything like the decals on my old SDS ANH stunt helmet, you can see that the ESB decals are actually more grey than blue:

newesb_decalcolour.jpg

Cheers.
TJ

I agree 100% TJ,the decals are grey and nowhere near blue or purple.The decals look to be almost matt,with the frown looking satin and the ear caps gloss?

In that last pic from Jez,the ANH decals look to be almost bang on for the grey.

I found settling on a colour for my helmet was incredibly difficult. Pretty much every ref. shot looks different. So I decided to take an average between ROTJ and what I see in screen caps. Below is the final result.

I think photos of my helmet have it matching pretty closely in colour with screen caps.

WARNING

If the image of my decals posted above does not have V1.3 in the corner then I'm afraid you copied an older version (slightly different colour) before I had chance to correct my mistake.

Sorry.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back