ESB R2-D2 Vaccum Form Mold!

Jason,

I did not get this piece scanned yet.
I scanned the 700 reading lamp a few years ago.
I have the casts of the radar eye and lens being scanned now.
I do plan on scanning this after the radar eye and lens come back.

Robert

Absolutely... I will PM you when I get back home later, and we can chat about it a bit.

Out of curiosity, did you ever get it scanned?

Jason

What really interested me was the possibility that this was an actual ESB fiberglass dome. I was hoping it was a regular dome that was just repurposed to be a mold. Basically dimensionally identical to the domes that were put on ESB r2 but with the vacuum form holes drilled in.

So a scan would actually be good for making a duplicate to make vacuum form parts from and for documenting the dimensions of an actual ESB fiberglass dome (if it proved to be authentic.)

I would l love to tackle the second but I would probably have to hand the first over to someone like Jason. That's way more work than I could sign up for. I'd never get it done.

Robert.

I honestly think you are on to something there Robert...IF this is authentic, (and for the record I believe that it is), then it is absolutely possible that it was made at the same time as the ESB composite domes...And even if it wasn't made at the same time, it could/may have been made by the same person from the same molds...So it's definitely something to take a closer look at.

I'm down to help however I can...I just shot you a detailed PM so we can figure out the best way to proceed forward. This is a great find!

Let me know,
Jason

Ok...Time for a little discussion. :)

I went back and checked my research and it seems that there was some conflicting thoughts on whether or not a plastic dome was used on ESB for R2. As we already know they mainly used the 8 new bodies that Tony Dyson had made, along with a combination of alu-domes and composite ones that were vac-metalized. I've never seen evidence, or heard anyone say that they vac-metalized the alu-domes...FYI...In fact, the ESB era domes that I've had first hand experience with were bare aluminum, and noticeably different than the ANH ones.

So...That brings me to this...Here for your viewing pleasure I submit a piece of evidence that a vac-formed dome may have been used for R2.

Anyone that has worked with alu-domes knows that the corners and cuts are sharp and straight...Very crisp edges.

Anyone that has worked with composites knows that replicating those sharp corners is no problem for composites...Basically, if a corner is nice and sharp on the original, it will be nice and sharp on the composite copy...

AND...Anyone that has ever vac-formed anything knows that it is VERY hard to hold sharp edges when vac-forming something either over something, or into a recess. In fact, if you take a look at these pics from the link Cole posted above, you can see what I mean...

http://astromech.net/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=33894

and...

HPIM0723 - Astromech.net

If you look really closely at the droids in the above pics, you notice that the edges of the recessed panel areas are slightly rounded and generally "soft". And I think we all agree that Roberts mold is most likely the source of those clear domes...

BUT...Now I want you to look at this pic...

http://astromech.net/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=4093&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Notice the same "soft", slightly rounded edges on the panels...Notice the spacing of the HP hole (it's identical to the spacing on the dome mold pics above)...That is simply NOT a composite or aluminum dome in those shots, as the panel edges would be much sharper on either one.

It is my contention that the R2 dome in that pic is in fact a vac-metalized, vac-formed dome...With panels that are either plastic (or possibly alu) that were painted and placed in the recessed areas...In fact, the color and finish of the blue in this shot looks VERY much like the Dykem that has been recently discussed as the blue formula from ANH. I think the only difference is that this is Dykem over vac-metalized plastic, instead of Dykem over bare aluminum.

So...I see several possible scenarios for the mold that Robert has posted pics of to start this thread.

1. It is a mold made solely to be used for vac-forming the R3 clear domes
2. It is a composite pull for R2 domes that was re-worked into a vac-form plug.
3. It is the mold that was used for both clear R3 domes, as well as at least one (or more) vac-formed plastic domes.

Again...I've been studying the history of R2 and all his various incarnations for years. And new info is always popping up, so I'm not stating anything with absolute certainty. But I think the evidence shows that it's worth further discussion. :)

Jason

Here is one of the photos Jason is talking about as well as another one.

main.php

main.php

Another feature that shows the strong possibility that this mold is authentic, and that it was indeed used to vacuum form R2 domes, not just R3 domes, is the spacing. Look at Robert's mold and notice the gap between the front HP and the panel to the left. It is wider than the gap between the HP and the panel to the right. Compare that to the R2 dome in the screen shot and the spacing is identical. This spacing is non-existent on any of the aluminum domes made by fans, at least not in the R2 Builder's Club.

That's correct Brett,

The spacing around the HP changes a lot depending on which dome you are looking at. On some of the droids, the HP is actually closer to the panel with the front red/blue flasher, and the larger gap of space is on the other side of the HP...When we created the RJ domes, we decided to split the difference and put it in the middle since it varied so much.

But...Again...The spacing here is exactly the same. To me that is a "tell" that these likely originated from the same source, at the very least.

Jason

Awesome! Thanks for posting those...

The clearer pics confound me a bit, as you can definitely still see the soft rounded edges on some of the panels...However, they also sharpen up some details too...Who knows...

Sadly, a lot of definitive info may never be known, as memories have faded over time...And some of the screen used pieces are no longer in LFL's hands.

At the end of the day, this mold is still a great piece of history, as it most likely was the source of the R3's, and has direct ties to the ESB era droids. That in itself makes it awesome in my book.

Jason

That so funny.

I remember being a little wounded when I made the first 3D models of R2 about the time that Don came on the scene.

His first comment was ... "The panels on the domes don't have fillets. They have sharp corners. Your models are wrong."

I guess I should have said ... "but Don these models are of the ESB metalized composite domes!" :p

Aside from the broken or missing section of that one panel, that mold is in great shape. The inside has a bit left to be desired but the outside looks great for being a dated piece. I would not have wanted to be the one drilling all those holes, though. :)

I sold the dome mold.
But I did get it scanned.
Being an ANH kind of guy, I doubt I'll ever get around to doing anything with this but at least I have a copy for my archives.

This is the raw scan of 3.5 Million Points and 3.5 Million Vectors.

Capture03.JPG

This is the scan filtered down to 350,000 points and vectors.

Capture01.JPG

This is the scan filtered adaptively to filter more in areas with less change in curvature.

Capture02.JPG

It sold during the 45 day new user "no selling" period.
Those are the rules.

Did you see the resin dome that is for sale in the junkyard?
It is a better museum piece IMHO.
It has the holoeyes and radar eye ... making it a complete package.

It sold during the 45 day new user "no selling" period.
Those are the rules.

Did you see the resin dome that is for sale in the junkyard?
It is a better museum piece IMHO.
It has the holoeyes and radar eye ... making it a complete package.

You told us that after it was scanned and you made copies for yourself that you would offer it to us for our exhibit so I didn't pester you about it...it would have been nice to at least be able to be offered, make an offer, or turn one down.

About the dome in the junkyard, sorry we only purchase original items. Only production made, or screen-used items are going into the exhibit.

Thanks anyways.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
But all I said was I could not sell via RPF for 45 days.
The dome was on eBay before I even joined the RPF.
It sold on eBay before I got a chance to list it on the RPF.
It sold for $6000.00

The ESB dome mold was not authenticated.
There was no way to prove it to be a authentic production mold.

The resin dome that is currently for sale is not screen used but is an authentic production piece.
This dome is compete in that it has the radar eye and the holoeyes.
It has a paper trail back to Fox Studuos Australia.

It is unpainted, but so was the speculated ESB dome mold.

If orginal trilogy vs prequels is the issue ... I get it.
But if its a case of production made ... then I would think you would rather have the resin dome.

Price can't be an issue because both listed at the same price.
What am I missing?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back