epoxy putty?

robsonde

I have a project which I want to end up with something that feels like ceramic or stone, will an epoxy putty get hard or stay a bit rubbery?
I know that sugru is not what I want as it ends up like a hard rubber.

I don't think I can use a real ceramic as I don't have access to a kiln and it will have magnets inside it and the magnets will die if it gets hot.

Any thoughts?

Epoxy putty should get hard although it can sometimes remain a little rubbery and flexible. A few months back I made something with some old epoxy putty and found that it stayed flexible (although still fairly firm) after curing. It did get harder over time though. I'd suggest that you use fresh putty.

Depending on the size of what you're making, epoxy putty can lack strength without an underlying support structure. So it can cure hard but brittle.

Milliput is probably what you want. It gives you a lot of working time, and once it's cured it is hard, and has a feel not unlike rock or stone.

I use epoxy putty all the time on my 1/6 scale sculpts, from adding muscles, sculpting hair, armor etc... I get tubes of it from Lowe’s ( in plumbing section ) it turns rock hard and you can drill it, sand it , paint it .. hardens in about 5 minutes so you gotta be fast !... I also use the wood putty ( longer cure time ) I don’t like the plastic or steel putty... if you use a large chunk of the Lowe’s putty it’ll harden up in about 2 minutes though.

I like Apoxie Sculpt by Aves; it feels and acts the most like clay and will give you the quality of a ceramic piece. You really want to only mix up enough at a time that you can successfully mix the two parts together thoroughly, by kneading and blending in your palms for about 2 minutes. Then apply, sculpt, shape, etc. and let to set to cure. It holds its shape while working, which is nice. Then you can add more and more as you wish, carve, sand, etc, even after it has cured. Love the stuff. Ceramic restorers also use it in repairs.

Free Form air stays workable for half an hr or so after mixed. It is very light, but cures very hard. Very easy to sand and file after it has set.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back