Envisioning a Millennium Falcon

mlcallanta

Good day to everyone!

I've seen the various MF builds posted in this forum and let me say that they're nothing short of awesome! The modelling skill is so high that if only a kit company could grab anyone's build and does new tooling, we'll all be in a better world!
I have been enticed to try an mpc falcon and while I dont have a grain of skill compared to those who have posted here, I still feel the journey might be worth it.
Unfortunately, I live in a country (Manila, Philippines) where even a mpc kit is pricey ($100+) - that is if ever you could find one. I also dont have collected bits and pieces of modelling parts as its been decades since I've build a plastic model. Nonetheless, I still would like to see if its still viable for me to atleast try by asking some questions if I may:

1. How bad will it look if I cut the upper and lower pieces of the original kit side panels to get to the right height? Maybe just add bits and pieces to those side panels that looks lacking?

2. What is the height of the original kit side panel? Height of the preferred one? Since we're basically lowering the sides (...and even increasing the middle portion) thus changing the geometry, - center jaw, cockpit passage tube and both docking bay corridors would have to be adjusted in height to remain straight and level?

3. Any garage vendors offering parts and etch kits? How I wish someone could mold a better rendition of the rear deck - maybe even detachable for electronics, etc. The original looks so funky! hehehe.

Thanks in advance!

Mardon (MLC)

Hey Mardon, don't know if this will help but here is the thread for my MPC Falcon build.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11184.15.html
not to distract from this thread but I love what you've got going on that shelf!!!! What thunderfighter is that? Do you have any other threads for your other builds? (i'd also love to see more about your x/y wings)

Also, how did you do the streaking on the falcon? That's the most studio scale technique I've seen

Back to the thread.....Mardon, you are a braver man than I. I have a cutaway falcon sitting on a shelf with (probably one of the last of) the blue moon sidewall kit sitting beside it...untouched.

I also have a half finished 1/72 falcon sitting around too. The parallel mandibles sadden me too much, yet I am not brave enough to hack them up)

At this point I'm waiting for Bandai to come around and give me the falcon I want.......

Hey Mardon, don't know if this will help but here is the thread for my MPC Falcon build.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11184.15.html

Jake, that was a great build and thanks for sharing it. I got some measurements as well :)

Back to the thread.....Mardon, you are a braver man than I. I have a cutaway falcon sitting on a shelf with (probably one of the last of) the blue moon sidewall kit sitting beside it...untouched.

I also have a half finished 1/72 falcon sitting around too. The parallel mandibles sadden me too much, yet I am not brave enough to hack them up)

At this point I'm waiting for Bandai to come around and give me the falcon I want.......

Probably because I dont have the kit yet........ but who knows, when it arrives I might get overwhelmed.
Any news if Bandai would be making a Falcon? I hope so. I went to the mall last weekend and found a bandai 1/72 x-wing and currently building it. I must say im enjoying it!

Crazy with work at the minute,....but I have ideas for the MPC kit & measurements for you Mardon

J

Hi J. I saw your falcon build thread and have bookmarked it! A very high degree of skill you have which resulted to an epic build - congrats! Im sure I dont have the skill set like yours but I certainly appreciate any tips you can share for my proposed build.

Mardon (MLC)

yyyyyyyo my thread is here

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232555

Sidewalls should be 12mm according to my research, cutting down the kit ones is a good idea I would say go for it! It's easier than scratch building new ones, and you can just add to the detail that's already there.

As for changing the other parts......the docking rings need to be trimmed on their octagonal parts, and a small semi-oval shape needs to be cut away from the lower hull so that the cockpit tube will fit properly, it's a pretty effortless fix

Upgrade kits...WELL I sold all of my first batch, so I'm working on a second run of my resin and photo etch upgrade kits, but they're not going to be ready for a few months as they're ridiculously time consuming to produce.

Original RRP was £95 but as each subsequent run will become cheaper than the last, as the production costs go down due to the quantity. I anticipate the second run will be selling at around £70 per kit BUT....no promises. I'll keep you all updated on that anyway

Other than that, keep us all updated with your work!!

Cheers, Will

Will, thanks for the measurement as well as the other valuable infos - much appreciated. Along with the others, you certainly have mad skills in which you took it further by providing kits. Hats off to you sir!
Any chance you might like to include a pie-cut section of the rear deck as part of your kit? Just wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

BTW, do we have ample resources thru google search for plans and blueprints to do the MF from scratch? With what you guys are doing - removing most greeblies fr rear deck, cutting corridors and what-not seems leaving it almost like a shell. Granted the surface tiles may look overwhelming to do, but sometimes its easier to build from scratch than modifying a lot from an existing structure.

This may be just a generalized measurement so do correct me if Im wrong, but for a 1/72 scale MF - Length is 19", middle section height is 2.5" (w/o center turret structure) and sidewalls at 1/2".
Any measurement of the overhang edge? Perimeter edge to sidewall.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back