...Dragon Priest Mask Build Finished! Now, with Konahrik UPDATE 4-25-2013

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working off and on this bad beast for nigh four months and documenting my progress in the thread I hijacked, I finally got it done Sunday, 03/11/12. A couple days later than my intended goal but some problems arose (at that point, I'd be foolish not to expect otherwise). I'll spare you the details and get to the glamorous cell phone pictures.

So, yet another Skyrim project thread to flood the forums with: Dragon Priest Mask painted à la Vokun, the first Dragon Priest mask I acquired in-game.

Apologies to Yodajammies.

50p1k0.jpg

Last edited:
Re: It's about bloody time; The world's longest Dragon Priest Mask Build Finished!

The dragon priest masks are one of best looking items in the game. This does them justice. Nice work man.

Re: It's about bloody time; The world's longest Dragon Priest Mask Build Finished!

I thought I already did. ;)
ROFL ,yeah ... you did ... i just got excited upon seeing it , you should post it here anyway i am sure viewers would like to know what you used , great job man i am happy to see tons of skyrim going on over here on the rpf

I agree, why not post everything in this thread! Looks great!

The dragon priest masks are one of best looking items in the game. This does them justice. Nice work man.

ROFL ,yeah ... you did ... i just got excited upon seeing it , you should post it here anyway i am sure viewers would like to know what you used , great job man i am happy to see tons of skyrim going on over here on the rpf

I agree, why not post everything in this thread! Looks great!

Much thanks for the compliments. I wasn't sure on how my mask was going to be received being that I took some artistic liberties with it than going for accuracy.

My sculpting process is documented over in the other thread that's linked in the original post, so if anyone is interested; they can go there. However, it does lack what materials I used.

Here's a short list:

Clay - oil based, non sulfuric sculpting clay. You can pick them up at any art/crafts store. I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby and the last time I picked them up, they came in these rather sizable squares and went for about 3 bucks a block.

Casting Material - Smooth-On Smooth Cast 40D, I think. This was the first time I worked with this stuff and it really took me by surprise at just how fast it cured and just how rigid it became so fast. That's science for ya.

Silicone Rubber - Smooth-On Rebound 25 was used to capture the details (good or ill) and it is with great hindsight that I didn't get the thickener earlier. A lot of my time early on was spent playing with it when it was still slightly tacky to keep it from running everywhere.

Mother Mold - Smooth-On Plasti-Paste trowelable plastic. Due to a fault on my part, the last time I ordered this stuff for a small project, I ended up purchasing about 8 lbs of this goop. So, I had some to spare.

I'll spare the stories of woe, misery, and constant failure that beset me whilst I was toiling away, working on this thing. I go into it briefly at my blog but next post; I'll go more into detail about painting the thing.

Last edited:

EPIC!!! Great work man!

I thought I'd do something more productive at work and post up how I went about painting it.

After some light sanding and laying down some primer on both sides, I sprayed nickel colored spray paint on both sides. Coming back after it had fully dried, I took and old sock and sprayed into it a small amount of charcoal gray spray paint and (in layers) spread it out and rubbed it in, making sure that the raised areas remained lighter.

As I was doing this, I was adding additional weathering onto the mask by scratching away at it with my fingernails, keys, and even rubbing sand into some areas. Once I had it to a place I liked, I went back in and wet-washed/dry brushed some extra grime and darkened areas with black acrylic paint. I also repeated the process for the interior of the mask, just in case anyone should ever see the underside.

Further weathering was added on top of that with similar techniques mentioned earlier.

Hit that thing with some gloss clear coat (dulling the metallic sheen in the process) for sealing and protection, et voila!

I hate to pimp my own stuff, but I'm rather quite proud how this one came out. This one was for a customer but I kinda want one for my own now.:lol

Re: The world's longest Dragon Priest Mask Build Finished! UPDATE 3-21-2013

Wowie, a year after this was originally posted, I've got another one to do. I was recently commissioned to make Konahrik for a client and this is what I've got thus far.

The sculpt took a total of two days to sculpt (clay on top of a thin cast from the original mold) and currently caked in silicone rubber. The tusks will be sculpted on top of the cast pulled from this so I can keep proportions fairly faithful of the in-game model.

Any feedback is always appreciated.

I finished this last week but couldn't put it up due to site maintenance, but here are a couple pics of the mask and the custom shadow box I made for it (details for both documented on my blog).

DONE!:cool

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 203
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    10 MB · Views: 156
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 217
  • Konahrik Finished.jpg
    Konahrik Finished.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 735
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back