Done! Quantum Leap Handlink from season 4

masterjedi322 was kind enough to share measurements of the original "rare" LEDs. Looks like my measurements were pretty darn close. Off by 0.007
003.jpgIMG_4951.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This part I want to try and get right the first time. Don't want to waste too much of that thick acrylic. The lights are all channeled through fiber optics to each of those little drill holes. The speaker needs to not be muffled so I'm working on a sound chamber inside. There is a capacitive 5 channel switch so there are no mechanical switches to activate the sounds. The metal pins that stick up from some of the tiles will be touch sensitive. Just skin contact will activate the sound module. There is a shock sensor on the right top side so you can wack the handlink and set off the "eagle scream" sound. Lots of intricate work still left to do. I made enough on the laser cutter though to immediately have 30 working handlinks in one go.
bodysection.png

bodysection.png

This part I want to try and get right the first time. Don't want to waste too much of that thick acrylic. The lights are all channeled through fiber optics to each of those little drill holes. The speaker needs to not be muffled so I'm working on a sound chamber inside. There is a capacitive 5 channel switch so there are no mechanical switches to activate the sounds. The metal pins that stick up from some of the tiles will be touch sensitive. Just skin contact will activate the sound module. There is a shock sensor on the right top side so you can wack the handlink and set off the "eagle scream" sound. Lots of intricate work still left to do. I made enough on the laser cutter though to immediately have 30 working handlinks in one go.
View attachment 684565

Seriously going to be amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, gotta redo one tile. Just found this image. The lone red rectangle near the center is actually angled. Easy fix.
Handlink2.jpghandlink-trilogy2HD-1.jpg

Handlink2.jpg

handlink-trilogy2HD-1.jpg

I was going to use replica scale model rivets for the capacitive touch sensors, but the bookmark I had for http://www.scalehardware.com/ seems to have died. Anyone know a place to get small scale rivets?
I need 1mm diameter steel shafts with 2 to 3 mm dome heads.

Edit to add, Dome top mini nails are my second option.

Last edited:
I'd order one of these instantly if i didn't know how painstaking it is to make the damn thing :).

coming along lovely :).

I always loved the lego handlink....cause i was exposed to it first. but i've grown to like the lower tech looking one too, because it looks a little more like 'natural' evolving tech.
I also loved how they actually had an episode that showed both of them in one show where al actually 'killed' the original.

I just got a laser cutter (cheap chinese 40 watt) and doing this prop was a main reason!!
And now to re-discover this thread and find it active after all this time!! My friend showed me... SO excited it's active again.

What about 18 or 20 gauge solid copper wire?
Might be a pain to do a lot of them, but one benefit is you get something copper to solder to on the bottom. And the cost is pretty decent. :)

Above is what I believe to be a 22 gauge solid wire I melted with a torch just now, and allowed to ball up. Hit it with the scrubby dremel bit, and was done in 2 minutes. Below is a "small metals" (yeah, ok jewelry class) piece I made a while back. It was just riveted copper wire on the sides to satisfy a requirement of the assignment, otherwise they would have been invisible using brass wire. :p

As for the capacitive touch aspect, are you going to just run them straight into a pro mini/micro arduino, and have that run the sound module you posted a picture of?
IMG_3650.JPG

I was going to use replica scale model rivets for the capacitive touch sensors, but the bookmark I had for http://www.scalehardware.com/ seems to have died. Anyone know a place to get small scale rivets?
I need 1mm diameter steel shafts with 2 to 3 mm dome heads.

Edit to add, Dome top mini nails are my second option.

I know this is very close to completion, so over the next few weeks if there are not a bunch of updates, please don't think I am not working on it. The holiday season is going to take up most of my time and I promise my attention to this project is going to swing back as soon as the holidays are passed.

What is ming-blowing is the fact that you started this thread 10 years ago... that's some faith in your project. Tip to the hat to you, Replicaprops !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back