done delete

Re: TUTORIAL - "Display it!" - Duct Tape Dummy For Armor Costume Display

great tutorial stealth. I wish you had made this vid earlier before I purchased a mannequin. I might still make one some time in the near future.

Awesome Stef. Great work. You are too cool to be doing all this for us. Very nice of you.

that was great. I tried this myself - but blew it...bad.
I used too much tape...prolly 3 layers.
It was really hard to cut off me.
I also tried using that spray can, expand-a-foam to fill it...yea, bad idea. Foam never set up, leaked all over the place...grrr...

Gonna give this another try now that we watched this vid.
Thanks

Very informative tutorial... i will def be using this to do some work.

you just gave me an idea how to improve my dummy :D

i dont know why i didnt think of that before, i added in pipes for the arms, and its a horror to get stuff on there...
ill just remove the pipes xD

thx for the idea

Great tutorial! Glad to see one for the guys as most of the instructions you find on line are the female version. Nice touch the pvc pipe skeleton that also serves as a stand.

I just wanted to add that for the arms, if you are using this for a display and want the arms posable, you can take some heavy gauge but bendable wire, two or three strands as long as the arm, then wrap these strands together with more of the wire, wrapping it close together the entire length. The wrapping makes it very bendable and strong. Place this inside one of those grey foam pipe insulation tubes, tape it closed, insert it into the arm and fill up the arm with stuffing. Plastic bags from shopping makes great stuffing. They are light weight and easy to work down into the legs and arms.

Shylaah

Np guys.

Yeah, the key is 1 layer and just touch up spots and no arms needed via the piping. Not necessary.

Saw this on youtube earlier. I've seen a few of these before and it seems like a great idea.
Any suggestions for adding shoes to your costume since the base is connected directly to the legs?

I was thinking about making mine with a stand in back that would support the upper body and the legs would float/dangle above the base to allow for the shoes.

Saw this on youtube earlier. I've seen a few of these before and it seems like a great idea.
Any suggestions for adding shoes to your costume since the base is connected directly to the legs?

I was thinking about making mine with a stand in back that would support the upper body and the legs would float/dangle above the base to allow for the shoes.

That's a really cool idea too :thumbsup

I'm not picky with this thing. I don't really need to have the shoes. I just made it mostly to make future costumes, not so much for displaying really right now.
My iron man shoes do fit though, as I wear mine with the bottom cut out (slip over a real shoe).

luckily It works out in that case

Dude this is really awesome... if I had room for another dummy... I myself take up quite a bit of room lol. I would so make this so I could progress on my current project... really good tutorial as always.

This is perfect for what I am working on. I'll post a thread on it after I hit 20 posts....

Made one of these to sculpt some armour.
Now i gotta go on a diet ........ what a lot of tape LOL

I just bought the duct tape to build mine today after seeing this stealth. thanks for the motivation!!! I will be creating the skeletal frame a little different but fully inspired by your design. It is simple for sure so I think I may also try a head for it the same way! I would liked to have seen the seams as you sealed them. Do you need to layer the seams to create a good hold? Run the duct tape vertically or horizontally at the seam? i guess, what works best for you when you seal the cuts up after stuffing it?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back