Doctor Who Stunt Props (Sonic Screwdrivers, TARDIS Keys, etc.)

Re: Affordable Doctor Who Stunt Props (Sonic Screwdrivers, TARDIS Keys, etc.)

Would it be possible to print two variants of the 11th's sonic--one with the push button in place (if someone wanted to insert electronics they could just drill out the button), and one without that would be true to the device for static display?

Would it be possible to print two variants of the 11th's sonic--one with the push button in place (if someone wanted to insert electronics they could just drill out the button), and one without that would be true to the device for static display?
Technically yes, I can do any variation of the model needed. I could do one with the push button built into the model, one with a perfectly sized hole plus a backing to hold an installed button in place, and I can do a third variation with no button at all. I'm just curious what people think the standard should be on the various models.

In that case, I'd stick with the whatever shows on the prop, and then one could alter it to suit their needs...is the material fairly easy to sand or trim?

I haven't tried anything yet, but from the feel it's very solid. It's not like model or toy plastic that can be cut with relative ease with an xacto blade, but I'm sure it could be manipulated to some degree. But obviously the best option is to have the model ready to mod as printed, so having variations could be the best option.

All things considered, the purpose of this project is to provide cheap, static stunt props, not necessarily the base for a fully functioning prop. However, I would like the potential to be there.

Which actually brings up another question I have...what methods have you found best for painting these items?? You've brush-painted the prototypes, but how well would spray-paint take to them?

I'm going to test out the spray on one of the next prototypes, probably the 4th Doctor's sonic, since it's mostly that one metal color. I might even try a silver Plastidip if I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm going to test out the spray on one of the next prototypes, probably the 4th Doctor's sonic, since it's mostly that one metal color. I might even try a silver Plastidip if I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm not familiar with Plastidip; could you elaborate??

It's essentially the stuff they use to coat the metal handles of tools to create that rubbery grip. Think a pair of pliers. It comes in a liquid dip format and a spray format that's used for a lot of interior and exterior automotive applications. Basically, it's like paint but more badass!

If anyone is curious how the new designs for the sonics are going, here are schematics showing all the parts and how they go together.

4th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
sonicAssembly_4th.jpg

9th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
sonicAssembly_9th.jpg

10th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
(new version made this one obsolete - check later posts in this thread for the new version!)

11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
sonicAssembly_11th.jpg

River Song's Sonic Screwdriver
sonicAssembly_river.jpg

The Master's Laser Screwdriver
sonicAssembly_master.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, these are looking...fantastic. (Sorry! :facepalm)

Now that I see the construction of these sonics, it gives me some ideas: Would it be possible, on the 10th Doctor's Sonic, to print a complete emitter assembly, with the "ball" under the head, that could be glued to the end of the acrylic rod to give it actual extending capability (albeit without electronics)?

Now that I see the construction of these sonics, it gives me some ideas: Would it be possible, on the 10th Doctor's Sonic, to print a complete emitter assembly, with the "ball" under the head, that could be glued to the end of the acrylic rod to give it actual extending capability (albeit without electronics)?
With some added cost (estimated between $5 and $8 more) and a slight redesign, sure. It would require a few additional pieces, including the ball-neck, the "copper" lower portion of the emitter assembly, a pre-drilled acrylic rod, and yellow wires to complete the look) but it's doable. With the static version, the wires aren't needed, the hole doesn't need to be drilled, and there are two less pieces needed to be printed, but it could be an option for the 10th sonic. Is this something most people would want in a stunt prop like this? Again, sucks to give so much love to the 9th/10th sonic and not be able to show the same to the 11th but that's just the nature of the beast, I suppose.

I, for one, would be willing to pay extra for the option...even though it's a stunt prop without electronics (although with some ingenuity one might be able to work them in), I'd love to be able to display it in either closed or open modes...

Even if no one else wants this, I'd even be willing to pay for a one-off...

The only conflict I see with implementing an extending head is the use of a 1/2" acrylic rod. It was unnoticable inside the body through the slit but out in the open, while it will work, will appear to be a tad thicker than the glass neck of the actual prop. That added width means the opening of the neck sleeve at the top of the body will need to be a bit wider as well, which will either a) alter the angle of the slope leading up to emitter head or b) raise that portion up slightly, leaving less distance for the emitter assembly to extend. I chose the latter of the two in order to preserve the general appearance and prominent 45 degree slope in that location. For anyone that wouldn't mind that minor inconsistency, I'd be more than happy to make that option available.

I don't think I'd have an issue with that at all...do you have a graphic that would show the difference in that section between a normal and "extending" version?

I don't think I'd have an issue with that at all...do you have a graphic that would show the difference in that section between a normal and "extending" version?
I would have to redesign that portion first. In order to make a clean seam between the acrylic rod and neck, the rod and bottom of the neck either need to both be flat and bonded with a very strong epoxy, or there needs to be some extra on each end that is milled down away from the edges, so each end fits into the neck and base cleanly. This picture shows a much older version of the sonic but the emitter assembly is pretty much the same.

411177_10150516597525772_1908424914_o.jpg

Here are two more showing the actual 3d printed pieces of that old model.

330488_10150541829995772_982730858_o.jpg

327568_10150541830385772_291043756_o.jpg

As you can see, they fit together to form that nice seam, but that "glass neck" part needs to be made from manipulated glass or milled acrylic rod to get the look with this design. This version will have that acrylic rod lying flat against each end.

So a question for those interested in classic sonics. I've modeled the 4th Doctor's screwdriver already but I figured I'd change a few pieces around to make a 3rd Doctor's screwdriver available, but given the complicated design patterns (not complicated really, just hard to paint by hand and time consuming to stencil first), what do you think about those designs actually being raised in the model? If the black portions of the design are raised .5mm or so, it would be a lot easier to paint them. Thoughts?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back