Doctor Who: Masque of the Mandragora (Mask moulding / casting project)

PB Props

Very kindly, I've been given permission to mould up and cast duplicates of this copy of John Friedlander's original 1976 sculpt for Hieronymus' mask from the Doctor Who story, The Masque of the Mandragora.

I wanted to capture not just the sculpt, but all the moulding and casting defects that were present on the screen used costume piece, just for purity's sake.
Masque_2.jpg

These are the supplies I'll be using.
Masque_1.jpg

The first task was to clay the mask up.
Masque_4_ moulding 2_14August2020.jpg

Laying down the print coat in several thin layers to pick up all the detail and avoid getting air trapped in my moulding material.
Masque_6_ moulding_16August2020.jpg

Next up, building the body of the mould by thickening the silicone... You know the drill with this stuff. Looks as ugly as sin, like a topographical map of the Himalayas.
Masque_8_ moulding_17August2020.jpg

Starting to smooth everything out.
Masque_11_ moulding_18August2020.jpg

Adding some registration keys.
Masque_14_ moulding_20August2020.jpg

Then claying up my support shell's dividing wall.
Masque_17_ moulding_20August2020.jpg

Using Plasti Paste II. It's nice stuff, but I'm not 100% convinced that I would use it all the time.
Masque_19_ moulding_22August2020.jpg

The support shell is completed and splits down the centre line with added registration keys to prevent it from wandering off.
Masque_24_ moulding_23August2020.jpg

This is the first slush pour in resin where I was just starting to get to know this mould and how it needs to be approached.
Masque_26_ Test Cast_28August2020.jpg

And these are the first two test pulls.

Lots of lessons learnt here such as quantities of resin required and to wear my glasses during the process, that way I can spot stuff and not make school boy errors - I couldn't see down into the mould well enough to spot some clumped brass powder that ended up creating defects on the nose, brow and cheek of the one seen on the right here. I'll catch this next time!
Masque_27_ Test Cast_28August2020.jpg

This is a better view of the second pull and shows the brass colour quite well. Just the right amount of resin for a sturdy wall thickness, a decent amount of brass powder so that it buffs up well and it's got quite some gravity to it too, it's rather hefty in hand.
Masque_31_ Test Cast_28August2020.jpg

The reverse side is very tidy too for a slush cast. Anyone would think that I actually know what I'm doing!
Masque_29_ Test Cast_28August2020.jpg

As this is what it could look like hanging on a wall.
Masque_30_ Test Cast_28August2020.jpg

Over all, this took about a week from start to this point. I still have a way to go with testing, but up to now, it's been a fun and enjoyable project.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 123
A little update on my mask project, nothing ground breaking.

As I only bought a small quantity of brass and resin, I managed to get just four pulls done. Three are shown here, the other is still curing as I type this.

Left to right; the first (failed) test pull, the second was vastly better and the third was where I was happy with the materials quantities and the finish.
Masque_33_ Test Cast_01September2020.jpg

And this (below) is a closer look at pull number three. It's a successful cast. Here it's been trimmed, had a steel wool pass and buffed. Not too shabby.

I just have to decide on whether to black wash it or not. I honestly don't think that it needs it as there's enough contrast across it already in the details. Also, I have to make a decision on whether to put some black gauze in behind the eyes and mouth. Once again, I'm not entirely convinced that I should. I sort of like this as it is - and I think that it may have been like this on the telly, but I'll have to check on that. Now that I think about it, it probably did have a gauze. Hmm, guess I'll be digging out the DVD. Hopefully I can find it.
Masque_32_ Test Cast_01September2020.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Well, it's only been six months since I made the mould making video, so here's a video on using that mould with the Cold Casting process to replicate the effect that the mask in question has been cast in brass.

Someone may find the information useful.

Better late than never, I guess.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back