"Doctor Who" K9 Replica

Kerr Avon

Master Member
I'm interested in purchasing a fiberglass/metal replica of the most faithful friend of the Doctor, a replica K9 that I found in the UK.

k9-full-large.jpg

k9-half-large.jpg

It's footprint is 32 inches by 20 inches. Everything is apparently static, the ears, sensor in the eyes, staser pistol, the neck and tail. I'm thinking with a few upgrades I could have him zooming around with a RC car mounted inside and maybe get some motors built in to make his ears wiggle and his tail wag. A voice chip would also be pretty cool.

My question is this, how accurate is he? I don't recall a lot of details, but I think it's as accurate as it can be.

from what i can see based on the pictures here...it seems pretty accurate aside form maybe the wrong color collar (it looks like it should be a yellow plaid not red)...but it looks great....i look forward to seeing how your improvement project turns out....

sidenote...one of my fondest childhood memories was there was a touring exhibition of dr who props and costumes...my dad took me to see it...seeing the actual k-9 and TARDIS was absolutely just incredible...i mean come on...you're like 5 and you find out that all dr who's stuff is really real...just amazing

Poor K9....

Mine would be prime of his life, kept up in a nice state of repair.

Sara Jane Smith, who has always been my favorite companion, needs to be beaten if she let K9 get into that condition.

Here's one that a friend and myself built. Not bad for High School in the 80s. You can see by my wonderful hair. Uuuugh.

MAYish 1983
k9.jpg

k92.jpg

Great pics Spinner, that turned out really nice. Is the K9 pictures in the very first post a licensed piece? Does anyone have a set of plans on this little guy? Is there a K9 Builders forum or group out there?

Can't wait to see him back in action on the new series.

Originally posted by Grimm Jimm@Dec 12 2005, 09:44 PM
Great pics Spinner, that turned out really nice.  Is the K9 pictures in the very first post a licensed piece?  Does anyone have a set of plans on this little guy?  Is there a K9 Builders forum or group out there?
[snapback]1134561[/snapback]​

I'm not entirely sure if it is licensed, I'm still waiting to hear back from someone on it.

I'm pretty certain it's licensed. There is a company out of Britain that's making these things in the last few years. A bit pricey for me, but still nice work all around. I think they do Daleks as well.

-Gordon

Yeah, that first K9 looks like one of the This Planet Earth licenced ones.

TPE are well known for doing OK-quality pieces at extraordinary prices. They also produced full size TARDISes which were proper wood to start with and were great, and then they switched to fibreglass, and the quality dropped overnight. However, the price didn't.

And now try to add the innards... ;)

http://doctorwho.time-and-space.co.uk/copp...album=27&pos=26

(Picture from the Season 28 preview at the end of the Christmas Invasion)

Originally posted by Grimm Jimm@Dec 12 2005, 08:44 PM
Great pics Spinner, that turned out really nice.  Is the K9 pictures in the very first post a licensed piece?  Does anyone have a set of plans on this little guy?  Is there a K9 Builders forum or group out there?

Can't wait to see him back in action on the new series.
[snapback]1134561[/snapback]​

Yes, there is a builder's club on MSN. Here is the link http://groups.msn.com/thedoctorwhopropbuildersclub

I've wanted to build one of these for a very long time now and have finally started my project. So far I've collected lots of information about the original prop (materials used, etc) and have started building the fiberglass shell. I've still got several months of work to do but will post pics once I'm finished.

Holy necro Batman!!!! This thread is two years old!!!!

Well yes, I started on a K9, but have put it aside while I finish up my 4 foot Stargate.
12-24-07-Stargate-2.jpg

Once the Stargate is done I'll dive deeper into the K9 and get him further along. Here's the most recent pic of him. I need to find a good source of tubing for the neck so I can start working on the head.

05-26-07-K9-F.jpg

I have it in my brain to attempt to design and build a "Steam Punk" version of K-9.

When anything comes of it, I'll be sure to post.

As for what's above (in a falsetto John Leeson voice):

"Very very nice, Master!"

-Gordon

I'm interested in purchasing a fiberglass/metal replica of the most faithful friend of the Doctor, a replica K9 that I found in the UK.

k9-full-large.jpg

k9-half-large.jpg

It's footprint is 32 inches by 20 inches. Everything is apparently static, the ears, sensor in the eyes, staser pistol, the neck and tail. I'm thinking with a few upgrades I could have him zooming around with a RC car mounted inside and maybe get some motors built in to make his ears wiggle and his tail wag. A voice chip would also be pretty cool.

My question is this, how accurate is he? I don't recall a lot of details, but I think it's as accurate as it can be.

Look beautiful to me!

that is a TPE (This Planet Earth) replica. They are nice but as stated above they are pricey, and not entirely accurate. Namely in the shape of the head, which is off. a few other minor differences is the neck and tail grommets.

Karsten

I have it in my brain to attempt to design and build a "Steam Punk" version of K-9.

When anything comes of it, I'll be sure to post.

As for what's above (in a falsetto John Leeson voice):

"Very very nice, Master!"

-Gordon

Got me thinking, a very cool steampunk version of this could just be a REAL dog wearing the right collar. :)

K9 has always been something I've wanted to attempt. With an R2 under my belt (not LITERALLY, ya pervs!!) I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a problem. The AA kits seem pretty straightforward, though the head doesn't look quite right unless you bondo the heck out of it.

Still, there's options out there now, and many online fans to support a build up. Cool thread, by the way. Keep up with the progress pics if youv'e got them.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back