DIY vacuum former - any experiences?

MadMike

Before you ask: currently I'm not planning to form something, so please don't ask what I'm going to do or how detailed it will be or something.

I found this video here and just wanted to know if anyone already has some experiences with this technique:

YouTube - Homemade vacuum forming a helmet

I'm asking because IF someday I'm going to form something I don't want to ruin our oven with melting plastic :lol

I've also asked the creator of the video, he said something like "yeah, no problem, nothing happens", but perhaps someone has made bad experiences.

Greetz,
Michael

I done that.....it did not hurt my oven (im not saying it can't), but as you can see they used aluminumfoil on the plate that holds the plastic frame in oven. When the plastic starts to dip...it goes fast.
I use the tutorial from this site: How To Build A Stormtrooper Costume
Building a Vacuumform Table
But the idea with using long screws for a holding frame that they used in the video you posted was clever ... im going to steal that for mine.

Many plastics will offgas when heated, releasing some pretty nasty chemicals into your oven that can eventually make it into your food.

A heating box for a vacformer is not a difficult build, and the amount of things that can go wrong in a home oven do not compensate for its ease. I would avoid doing things like this.

I have to agree with volpin, totally not worth the risk. I seem to remember volpin posting a really great series of pics on how he built his vaccuum former.

I've used an oven to heat the plastic about 3 times and although it worked very well, my oven still smells of plastic 3 years later!

You could try buying a portable oven cheap for use in your workshop.

Many plastics will offgas when heated, releasing some pretty nasty chemicals into your oven that can eventually make it into your food.

Uh, chemicals...didn't even think of them. Good point!

I have to agree with volpin, totally not worth the risk. I seem to remember volpin posting a really great series of pics on how he built his vaccuum former.

Yes, I've seen that, and it seems easy to build. But as I don't think that I will form THAT much, the former would just stand in my way. Therefore, I was looking for alternatives.

But you guys convinced me, I think I won't use the oven-method

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back