DH-17 Project Help needed

MessedUpMike

OK, so I'm looking into building a better DH-17 from the ground up. I'm going to start with a scratch built L2A3, and then mod from there. I'm hitting to stumbling blocks that I could use some help with.
1) Does anyone have a set of blue prints for the DH-17?
2) Does anyone have a good set of dimensions for the Zero Point scope? I could also work with buying resin or printed one were it available so long as the seller understand that I'll be attempting to rebuild it in aluminum.

Thanks

Wizardofflight's blueprints are up in his DeviantArt gallery.
His "Rebal Blaster" blueprint is clearly made from Master Replicas' idealized interpretation of the ANH version. The scope rings and some other details are not exactly accurate, but the dimensions are correct.

Which version did you plan to make?

Btw, it is "Singlepoint". "Zero Point Modules" are in Stargate SG1. ;)

I think I'm going to go with a cleaned up version of the ANH/ESB model first. A buddy of mine with a machine shop owes me some favors so I think with a little modification I can get a workable model. My current goal is a make one that's a more proper gun than a complete movie replica if those aesthetics make sense. with a workable ANH model, transitioning to a ROTJ model should be fairly easy.

Direct hit on the link,

Thanks

If I am correct (and I could be wrong) the A New Hope version is Different from the The Empire Strikes Back version in several details. I also believe the A New Hope version is smaller than an L2A3 due to the prop makers using a casting to make a master then recast to do the final production piece. I have no real insider knowledge about the real prop but I have had an interest in it for a while.

Yep, the ANH and ESB versions are based on the British L2A3 where the gun's proportions are identical, but the ESB version has a Sterling magazine, a different scope rail and lots of different greeblies.
The DH-17 blasters in ANH and ESB were cast, but the ANH version had real scopes and metal greeblies added later whereas all ESB blasters were cast whole.
Unfortunately very few good pictures exist of the ANH blasters with greeblies on them. The original mold and nth-generation casts of the gun without greeblies have ended up in collectors hands, which means that there are photos of them. Most screenshots from ANH are blurry and many shots have been flipped so as to get the most out of the Tantive IV set which was actually very small in real life.
ESB blasters have been shown in exhibits, so lots of photos have been taken of them.

I do not know if any ROTJ-version of the DH-17 ever made it into the film. I have seen a blurry screenshot where people have pointed it out, but I am not convinced myself..
It was based not on the British sterling but on a replica by MGC of a Canadian version, which has different details. MGC's replica is also scaled down a bit so as not to be parts--compatible with the original gun.
The ROTJ version's receiver has also been modified in a different way than guns used for the ANH and ESB master, versions giving it somewhat different proportions.

BTW, send me a PM with your email address if you want me to send you my collection of reference images.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back