Destiny Warlock Cosplay - New to all this!

Rick1138

Hi folks,

I am Rick and I am based in Aberdeen in Scotland.

I am all very new to cosplay but have always wanted to make a replica costume, mainly of a stormtrooper or imperial guard, but I was always hesitant to dive in.

However after reading a LOT of blogs, the 405th.com stickies and watching a LOT of videos on YT, I feel confident to give it a go.

So to date I have started my Pepakura template base for the helmet (once too big, once too warped (don't like hot glue now!) and now may not fit over head without an escape hatch at the back :).

Plan is to make something like this clothes wise:

Helmet colours:

Weapon\Nerf upgrade:

Current status of last pepakura before I crumpled it in a sigh.....

Plan is to make an RTV silicone glove mould and fibreglass mother mould, and use EVA foam for armour and bits to make boots and forearms bulkier, with either a sort of sleevless one sided tunic (as sewing arms may be tricky) or a two piece cloak and lower kilt affair.

Lots to do, got everything ready just need to get the pepakura build scaled and finished.

Off work next week so apart from playing destiny (my warlock is level 9.....:( ) I will be cracking on with progress pics :)

Hope to do you all justice.

Thanks for those links, quite useful :)

I have cut out all my correct (I hope) scale pep parts and put them in plastic pockets in the order of their printed pages, so its easier to find pieces.

Have the top half mostly done, fiddly bits around the front lip to do next.

NERF shopping tonight :)

Hi Rick, good to see another Scot on the site doing Destiny. I'm just down the road in Glasgow.
Look forward to seeing you're progress and perhaps bumping into you at a con.
You definitely more organised than I am on a build :)

Hi Crispy Props, yeah not too far away, still awful lot to do to make a costume, learn to use a sewing machine being next!

Almost finished the helmet, took 3 attempts, First one used hot glue and it warped and didnt give good work time\precision, tried again with pritt stick and PVA, but after assembling about a third realised it was way too big, made an error adding size for padding.

Third one was correct scale, made with scenic glue\thick pva applied with a wooden thin spatula, gave time to align properly, and relatively fast drying.

It will need a panel cut out to fit my head in but it fits correctly before i made the lower pieces preventing it from going over my head.

Just left side 'ear' pod to do then first fibreglass resin only coat :)

That took a long time!

Looks nice. Whats its sizes? From the pic it looks like the pen might be about the same size as the neck. I'm quite curious as I've never made up a Pepakura template before.

Had a thought that i could use casting urethane resin instead of polyester fibreglass resin, for ease of use indoors and much easier to mix as the poly resin sets we get in UK use a paste as a catalyst and its a pain to mix for this kind of delicate work, so on to test....

Made up a simple cardstock box and made up a (far too large! lol) batch of casting urethene resin. I added a pigment to make it easier to see what i have coated.

Measured out the resin on scales:

Then coated the cuboid shape:

Solidified excess resin, now know roughly how much needed to do one coat over the helmet is about half what i made up, so about 20grams total. The sponge brushes i had from years ago i thought id try as they cost pennies and they work very well :)

Helmet pep stiffened with wooden strips and hot glue. Fingers crossed this works :)

First guide coat of primer on yesterday as it was 21'C!!! in Scotland!

Found few pin holes and some rough areas still need flattening such as where I have sanded through to the paper so need to smooth that, but I am also aware of the time issue of only have about a month and a half so Really good over Perfect is the order of the day.

I am away on holiday next week in the north of England (Lake district) so no updates but the good lady has said weekend we are back is no plans so I can basically just do the cosplay!

Hi Folks,

Well after a rather busy and exciting week off on holiday a few things happened.

First off, I got engaged to my lovely fiancée who said yes :)

Secondly I started on the coat part of the costume and basically sat at a table all day pinning and cutting out cloth, interfacing and lining materials.

Sewing machine is getting used tonight...I'm not gonna lie, I'm scared!

Glad to be of service :)

Got the bottom 'cloak' part of the coat sewn and have pinned it to the 'tunic' top part.

Tried it on for size and its almost perfect, so happy days.

I am 5' 7" with a 30" inside leg and the coat sits just above my ankle bone at its lowest.

Main job now is to sew all the lining parts together and create the diamond padded look, then combine the 2 parts of the coat (fabric and lining).

After that its get helmet ready for silicone mould and start on making the rifle, shoulder guards, bracers and boot attachments.

Needs to be finished in 5 weeks.

Glad to be of service :)

Got the bottom 'cloak' part of the coat sewn and have pinned it to the 'tunic' top part.

Tried it on for size and its almost perfect, so happy days.

I am 5' 7" with a 30" inside leg and the coat sits just above my ankle bone at its lowest.

Main job now is to sew all the lining parts together and create the diamond padded look, then combine the 2 parts of the coat (fabric and lining).

After that its get helmet ready for silicone mould and start on making the rifle, shoulder guards, bracers and boot attachments.

Needs to be finished in 5 weeks.
What sized pattern did you buy? The xs-sm-m or the l-xl?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back