DerfOnarged's Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon FINISHED!

DerfOnarged

I just wanted to share my progress to the community on my PG Falcon. This is my first model since I was in middle school when I only built models but never painted them. When the PG Falcon was released, I just had to build it because this is my dream model. I tried and miserably failed my first MPC way back when, and I had to try again with the PG Falcon. Having never painted or weathered anything, I was extremely intimidated, but I continuously read and researched everyone's techniques on here and on youtube. Everyone's work here is truly an inspiration! When I stumbled upon this forum, I couldn't stop reading, and it really brought me back to my middle school days.

Anyways, I've finished most of the weathering on the bottom half. I've included one the reference photos I'm going off of to compare against my work. I gotta say, when it came time to start the weathering and streaks, I was paralyzed and really put off starting that part, but once I got going, it turned out to be the funnest part! Unfortunately I only find enough time to work on it maybe twice a week, but I enjoy every second of it! Getting back into this hobby has really brought some joy to my days! I can't wait to progress more with the sidewalls and top half! I'll post more as I progress. Please feel free to offer some advice and constructive criticism!

IMG_2047 by Frederick de Grano, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking really good! I’ve definitely found this forum to be an invaluable resource for painting and weathering tips. I finally feel prepared to jump into mine![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking really good! I’ve definitely found this forum to be an invaluable resource for painting and weathering tips. I finally feel prepared to jump into mine![emoji106]

Hey DerfOnarged. Nice progress so far mate ! Was there any one thread which was the best that you've found ? There are a couple of YouTube channels which are nice as you can see exactly what they do. But none have finished yet.

Hey SixthScaleMan ! Over here from the 1/6 Star Wars forums :) This is Hoody999. Also an Aussie ! But living in Europe at the moment.

I just bought one of these so have been looking for a good build log to follow for guidance and inspriration. Should be delivered in a week or so I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hoody999! Good to hear from you outside of the regular forums. I think you're gonna love the Falcon. I've just started my build and the detail is amazing. I'm chronicling my adventure here:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293826
I'll echo DerfOnarged in saying that the main thread has been amazing and his YouTube recommendation is spot on too. I'm watching Model Chilli's build at the moment as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTYAxmiFm9E&index=1&list=PLARHgLwM1zDMEgZqJ5OjU2lG7CffYWOJR
Enjoy!:)
Hey DerfOnarged. Nice progress so far mate ! Was there any one thread which was the best that you've found ? There are a couple of YouTube channels which are nice as you can see exactly what they do. But none have finished yet.

Hey SixthScaleMan ! Over here from the 1/6 Star Wars forums :) This is Hoody999. Also an Aussie ! But living in Europe at the moment.

I just bought one of these so have been looking for a good build log to follow for guidance and inspriration. Should be delivered in a week or so I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more WIP photos! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, almost finished!

The top half is almost done weathering!
43705908060_e554be6bf3_c.jpg

Some lighting updates. These ideas were taken from the master, Bashing Kits on YouTube. I replaced the stock engine lights with a much brighter LED strip and now its as bright as you would expect the falcons engines to be. I repurposed the unused LEDs from the stock engine lights to light up the gun ports like what Bashing Kits did. Hope to finish the whole model in a few weeks and post some better pics with better lighting!
30581627327_a1f9aee632_c.jpg

31650355018_8353552b3d_c.jpg

30581630617_4bb0a5382e_c.jpg

Last edited:
Beginner or not, I think it looks fantastic!

it just goes to show that things aren't as daunting as many beginners or first timers might think

As long as one is willing to learn some basic techniques, have the appropriate tools and work with some patience, people would be surprised at what they can accomplish

That's not to say it is easy, but is an be done if one is willing to try

As far as offering some advice...keep doing what you are doing. It looks like you've nailed it

Beginner or not, I think it looks fantastic!

it just goes to show that things aren't as daunting as many beginners or first timers might think

As long as one is willing to learn some basic techniques, have the appropriate tools and work with some patience, people would be surprised at what they can accomplish

That's not to say it is easy, but is an be done if one is willing to try

As far as offering some advice...keep doing what you are doing. It looks like you've nailed it

Thank you! I gotta say I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and knowhow from all the experts here on the boards! Can't wait to finish this piece of junk and show it off!

I LOVE your Falcon! It looks spot on with the studio!
I will say though, I think I like yours better. Your maintenance pits are darker than the original, and to my eye it gives the look of the ship a little more contrast.
Outstanding work, and I really like your pics.

Holy....

That is one of the finest Falcons I’ve seen. And like Jaitea says, the photography really shows it off.

Do you mind if I ask what method you used for your streaking, and how did you get the cockpit lighting to look so good?

Thank you to all for your kind words!

I LOVE your Falcon! It looks spot on with the studio!
I will say though, I think I like yours better. Your maintenance pits are darker than the original, and to my eye it gives the look of the ship a little more contrast.
Outstanding work, and I really like your pics.

That’s EXACTLY what I was going for! I wanted the pits to look dirtier as they would be since they’re engineering spaces. Prefer that to the white of the 5 footer.

Holy....

That is one of the finest Falcons I’ve seen. And like Jaitea says, the photography really shows it off.

Do you mind if I ask what method you used for your streaking, and how did you get the cockpit lighting to look so good?

I brushed on Abteilung 502 Starship Filth. Perfect color for the streaks IMO.

I brushed on Abteilung 502 Starship Filth. Perfect color for the streaks IMO.

They look so good mate. You managed to get them so straight and perfectly placed as well. I have a couple of tubes of abteilung starship filth, but will need some kind of stencil to apply the streaks as there's just no way I could freehand them.

They look so good mate. You managed to get them so straight and perfectly placed as well. I have a couple of tubes of abteilung starship filth, but will need some kind of stencil to apply the streaks as there's just no way I could freehand them.

Hint: I used a ruler ;). Just gotta keep it simple sometimes!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back