Delete

There is something so fundamentally beautiful in an unrefined sculpture. I can't count the amount of times I have gotten to this very step and had to push myself beyond the travesty of altering it to "finish" the sculpture.

This is about an hour or two of work in total.

Last edited:
Daaaamn off to a great start! This is going to be great.

Thanks Sinned! I appreciate the kind words. :)

Well, day two wrapped on Mistah J. Still discovering forms and just generally experimenting with it. It doesn't quite have the life I'd like it to have yet.. I'm hoping to pick up a larger board soon to give the chin the elongated look that it needs, but right now it is a perfect sculpture stand so I'm in no rush! :lol

I'm hoping to start on a nice pair of oil based clay teeth for him this weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks Nygiant! It means a lot!

Hopefully progress will happen quickly. Last time I fiddled way too much.. took way to long to finish the sculpture.. I've set myself a hard stop deadline of June 15th. As asavage says, "the closer the deadline, the more likely you'll start thinking way outside the box." :lol

By the way, if you read this Adam, you've got a resin copy with your name on it if ya want it!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 485223

There is something so fundamentally beautiful in an unrefined sculpture. I can't count the amount of times I have gotten to this very step and had to push myself beyond the travesty of altering it to "finish" the sculpture.

I know exactly what your mean - there is something more artistic looking about an unrefined sculpture. A Rodin with details would never cut it as art. It's almost as if you are turning an art piece into a craft piece.

looks good, has lots of character, it is a shame when everything has to be machine smooth and finished

Thanks very much frosty! I'm dying to jump right to textures, but I feel like the forms aren't quite there yet.. the smooth finish is killing me!

No updates today, as the changes were very small.. just dialing some things in.

This mornings progress. I was able to move the sculpture to extend the chin, while still using it as a sculpture stand... I should probably make a new one of those.. :lol

Let me know what you guys think. I'm absolutely open to suggestions. PM me if you'd prefer!

(Side note for anyone who cares... I'm pretty sure I'm accidentally sculpting Charles Chiodo of the Chiodo Brothers as The Joker! As I was sculpting the whole time I was like "I've seen this guy before.. glad to finally know why! Ha :lol )

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, this one didn't post!

Last edited:
LOL @ "TEETH"

Really looking good...maybe I won't bother doing my sculpture now. ;)

Overall form feels really lifelike to me. Are you keeping the pointed upper lip? How detailed are you going to go with it, overall? I can definitely see "Joker" when this gets painted up!

View attachment 485223

I know, I love the grittyness. I always felt that way myself and feel like I'm destroying a masterpiece when cleaning it up with putty and such.

Definitely a damn good sculpt. Thumbs up.

LOL @ "TEETH"

Really looking good...maybe I won't bother doing my sculpture now. ;)

Overall form feels really lifelike to me. Are you keeping the pointed upper lip? How detailed are you going to go with it, overall? I can definitely see "Joker" when this gets painted up!

Thanks very much Sinned!
You better enter! Your work last contest was phenomenal and I can't wait to see what else you can do!

I'm not sure how I feel about the pointed lip yet.. some Jokers have it and some don't. I think I'm going to take it down just slightly, but not get rid of the whole point.

I'm not going for super lifelike, but I'll definitely pull the forms together a little better and throw some nice skin textures through out.

ILL GREEN Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
First pass of texture. I'm really happy so far, and the finish line is in sight. Texturing WED clay is very difficult. Gonna have to let it dry out a bit more for pass 2!

Can't wait to get this guy under rubber and get him in oil clay. Just a reminder, my plan for the WED Sculpture is making resin copies. The oil based sculpture will make silicone copies.. basically meaning more accurate skin texture no hair, etc.

Last edited:
So here is the finished sculpt! :)
Total time working on it was about 5 hours.

I'm hoping to have this guy under rubber ASAP. Hoping to matrix him, and I plan on snapping pics for everyone along the way. :)

After that, I'll clay pour him and take off the hair, tighten up the skin textures, and mold him in epoxy for silicone castings. I have over sculpted the skin texture here a little bit, because I find the finish resin castings shrink just barely, but enough to effect the details. I'm hoping this counteracts it... doesn't look beautiful in the sculpt, but the finished piece is what matters. Once it is in resin I plan on snapping the mouth and sculpting some teeth for him... I was originally going to sculpt them out of oil clay and mold them in the mouth, but it's too much trouble for what it's worth. This eas I can hopefully use the same set of teeth for the silicone castings.

Last edited:
This one isn't for the contest. Just for funsies... Best I could do on my phone, but I hope that what was in my head is now making sense in yours. As a sculptor it is my job to make what I see what you see... When that doesn't happen.. well I guess it's a failure... But I'm very happy and confident with this piece. :)

Last edited:
Been a bit overworked lately, and completely missed the updates. This looks INCREDIBLE; love it! Added texture is great, and the face just looks sooo good. The hair too, nice! I've always been so scared to even attempt sculpting hair; I really like the look of this. Are you still making a pour of it, and doing more detail?

LOL at phone paint job, BTW. :D

Thanks very much Sinned!

What ended up happening was my time and budget kicked me in the teeth, so with no money for the project and the sculpture rapidly drying out I just threw it under stone. I am waiting to pick up some foam so I can cast up a latex master. I'll sculpt the teeth into that and mold those separately when I have the time and budget.

Hopefully I'll get the master under some alginate and retool it for the silicone copy that I've wanted, but it won't be for quite some time sadly!

Thanks again to everyone who has viewed and commented! Hope Mister J here puts a smile on your face. :)

So here is the finished sculpt! :)
Total time working on it was about 5 hours.

I'm hoping to have this guy under rubber ASAP. Hoping to matrix him, and I plan on snapping pics for everyone along the way. :)

After that, I'll clay pour him and take off the hair, tighten up the skin textures, and mold him in epoxy for silicone castings. I have over sculpted the skin texture here a little bit, because I find the finish resin castings shrink just barely, but enough to effect the details. I'm hoping this counteracts it... doesn't look beautiful in the sculpt, but the finished piece is what matters. Once it is in resin I plan on snapping the mouth and sculpting some teeth for him... I was originally going to sculpt them out of oil clay and mold them in the mouth, but it's too much trouble for what it's worth. This eas I can hopefully use the same set of teeth for the silicone castings.

View attachment 486953

View attachment 486954

View attachment 486955

View attachment 486956

This is great! I saw your thread right after I submitted my entry. Our sculptures sort of go together. It's... funny :lol. Good luck sir!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back